HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

summertime tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default summertime tire pressure

Now that its summertime, what is a recommended tire pressure. Is it safe to put my tire pressure to 38psi. The daily temperature has in the low 100s, so the pavement gets very hot. I have them set at 32 right now, and my fe is terrible, under 400 miles per tank. Any suggestions recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by globalwarming; 06-05-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast
Default Re: summertime tire pressure

I've wondered about this too, globalwarming, when I noticed after a stretch of highway driving with temps in the high 80s that all my tires were almost hot to the touch. The question is what the max pressure (not max cold pressure) is for the Dunlops.

I run 38 psi cold (these days, that's ~70 degrees), and the general rule is every 10 degrees of air temp is worth 1 psi. So if my tires are 120 (which is what I would guess by feel), they'd be around 43 psi, which is a safe pressure. (Next time I get a chance when they're that hot, I'll check the actual pressures.)

But, as I say, I don't know what max press. on the Dunlops are. I think just about everyone will tell you you can go way over 32 cold, though. At the least, 35-36 cold should be perfectly safe even at your temp extremes.

--d

Old 06-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

I wonder if this could help you...

I am now running my front tires at 48 PSI and the rear at 46 PSI. Since I have a direct TPMS system, I monitor the tire pressures/temperatures with a user configured alert and so far, they're running pretty cool.

I would suggest that 42 in front and 40 in the rear should be good for most folks.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

msantos, do you do your own maintenance, and if not, do you lower the pressure before you take it in just to avoid unsavory inquiries from the service department?

I'm currently running my tires at 40psi all the way around since the max psi on my dunlops is listed at 44psi. I can't say I've seen any appreciable gain in mpg performance since raising it from 32psi, then again, it may not be as noticeable since probably 95% of my driving is on the highway at 60 - 65mph.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

I do not do my own maintenance. I always take my vehicles to the dealerships for servicing - it is cheaper and better that way for me.

I do not change the tire pressure at all when I take my cars in. The folks at the dealerships are very used to it. It's the folks at certain tire shops that have a fit when they see the tire pressures I sport.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

hehe, good to hear. I'll do a test run the first time I have to take mine in and see if any mention is made of it - or if they just secretly lower the pressure without saying anything.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

I actually instruct the service advisor to write/note on the order that the tires pressures are "not to be touched".

At first (once last year) the advisor said OK, but the service person ended up deflating my tires to "their" pressure levels. From that point on, I have always make sure it is authoritatively written down and they've been happy to oblige.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by globalwarming
Now that its summertime, what is a recommended tire pressure. Is it safe to put my tire pressure to 38psi. The daily temperature has in the low 100s, so the pavement gets very hot. I have them set at 32 right now, and my fe is terrible, under 400 miles per tank. Any suggestions recommendations? Thanks in advance.
"terrible" FE won't be caused by tires at 32 psi, it's a minor factor in that range (from 32 psi up to the limit). The hot are is not "dense", hence the lower mpg

Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

MSantos, do you have the Insignia SE200 tires on your car? I figure I can pretty much copy what you are doing since Calgary and Winnipeg would have the same temps (currently running 40 all around and was wondering if going higher would be beneficial). Also, have you noticed a loss of traction going so high on the highway (and do you travel over 110KMPH often at those PSI's).

Old 06-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have an HCH and have played with tire pressure alot and have not noticed any real difference in mpg gains by increasing the psi to MAX. I have noticed improvements in braking and handling especially in the wet. (From recommended psi going to MAX psi).

Quick Reply: summertime tire pressure

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands