HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Should I grid charge healthy battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Should I grid charge healthy battery

Hello all,

I bought my 07 HCH2 in July 2019 with 102,000kms (63k miles) and shes currently sitting at 67k Its been my daily since and I haven't noticed any problems yet. IMA battery seems to be in good health, maintains charge and doesn't seem to recal.

So I've heard somewhere that its a good idea to grid charge the battery once in a while as preventative maintenance when its still healthy. Is this true? Wondering if its worth investing in this kind of set up or maybe making my own.

Also wondering how soon I should change the cvt fluid. It smells ok and has a light brown-ish colour. Can I get away with just a drain-and-fill or should I go through the process of draining, filling, driving it some, then draining and repeating a couple times?

Finally, around September, I started plugging in my block heater before trips to warm up the coolant for the drive. Just wondering if anyone else on here do this on their HCH2? 😁

Thanks for reading!

Old 02-01-2020, 07:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I grid charge healthy battery

You should never "grid charge only". You should always combine discharging with grid charging. On a healthy battery, it should be done conservatively MAYBE once per year. You should NEVER grid charge the battery without cooling. For DIY that requires a PWM fan controller because you can't just drive the fan by applying 12V to it, or you pull it out of the car and blow air THROUGH it (not on it). Grid charge without cooling, and you'll likely destroy your battery.

CVT fluid should be changed every other oil change - approximately every 15K miles. It should be bright red. Given your description, I would recommend a "flush" by changing the fluid 3 times 1 week apart with driving in between. Honda CVT fluid only.

anything to pre-heat coolant or oil is a good idea in extreme cold.