HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rustproofing a Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:14 PM
ktg
Enthusiast
Default Rustproofing a Hybrid

What is your advice for rustproofing a Hybrid vehicle? Do you use the traditional liquid sprayed for the undercoat and doors etc or the electronic rust proofing device or no rustproofing at all. I will get delivery soon and was told that the manufacturer advices against the traditional rustproofing method.
I am in Canada so there are lots of salt on the road during the winter months.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rustproofing a Hybrid

There was a member here by the name of MSantos who also lives in Canada, that uses the electronic rust proofing device in his 2006 HCHII. You could do a little research for him here or cleanmpg.com.

Jess

Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just my opinion: take the car as it comes froom the factory (no extra treatments).

In winter, wash the car thoroughly whenever you get the opportunity. Pay particular attention to wheel wells lips (rear in particular). Also periodically remove any and all rubber/plastic protection pieces and mud-flaps and clean behind.

There's one liner in the rear wheel well on the gas tank side that really needs to be pulled out and clean behind, every so often. It's easiest done if that corner is jacked up. You don't need to pull the wheel, though.

One trouble spot is the double layer of gauge steel around the rear wheel well. It has periodic spot welds, but stuff can get in between. That is one place I would consider shooting in a rust preventing oil.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast

I live in Michigan, with ROUGH winters. I've owned several cars and have not needed rustproofing since the late '70s!!!

The excessive salt on winter roads doesn't bother the newest cars. Do not pay extra for rustproofing. IT IS NOT NECESSARY.

Also, go to the "Click & Clack" website for info on more dealer "extras" you don't need on new cars.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ktg
What is your advice for rustproofing a Hybrid vehicle? Do you use the traditional liquid sprayed for the undercoat and doors etc or the electronic rust proofing device or no rustproofing at all. I will get delivery soon and was told that the manufacturer advices against the traditional rustproofing method.
I am in Canada so there are lots of salt on the road during the winter months.

I had very good luck with Rust Check. You can do it yourself with very little effort or cost. Canadian Tire sells both the Rust Check "red" and "green" in spray cans. Spray the "red" in the drain holes on the bottom of the doors with the included straws. It will seep in all the seams and drain for a day so put down newspaper to catch the drips. if you can find drain holes around other areas like the rear fenders, trunk, and hood spray there too. Its very easy to clean up with a dry rag if it drips on the paint or floor. You may not want to use the "green" is used on undercarriage and other parts. It remains a wet jell that in my experience collects dust and dirt. It probably needs to be pressure washed off in spring. I used it once and everything looks wet and oily. But on the plus side there was no rust.

Last edited by starman; 10-09-2009 at 03:37 PM.