HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Realistic MPG HCH2

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Realistic MPG HCH2

The battery on my HCH2 is toast but I still get 35-45MPG on the home/work route. What should expect to get in the HCH2 if I replaced the battery? In other words, What is the marginal return?

I also own a G1 Insight MT. While I know that I can drive it in such a way that I COULD get >80MPG, my regular driving habits get me 55-68 MPG driving to and from work on average.

So what is realistic with the HCH2? Summer and winter.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Realistic MPG HCH2

52mpg if you drive it as conservatively as possible.

More likely 42-48mpg. Winter cold knocks that down 10%, summer heat with A/C use knocks that down 10-15%. You'll get your peaks in fall and spring.

HCH2 is more than 1000# heavier than the G1 with 30% more displacement and is WAY more comfortable. They aren't comparable.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:43 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a replacement battery will certainly boost the utility and MPG.

I'm certainly not expecting anything comparable to the Insight. Just wanted to know what to expect and thought my Insight mileage would give an indication of how I drive.

Oddly, I have found the Insight more comfortable from a seating perspective. Maybe you it's molded to me better than a week of the Civic. The sheepskin I. The insight helps as do Scotts special springs and GAZ shocks. I do like the Civic's leg room better and exiting the Civc is more graceful for sure.

But as you said, it's not a comparison. The civic is for winter driving and when I need extra passenger room.

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:11 PM

I'm a fat bastard. Getting in and out of the Insight is a nightmare, and the seats are too hard. The HCH2 just fits me nicely.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I'm a fat bastard. Getting in and out of the Insight is a nightmare, and the seats are too hard. The HCH2 just fits me nicely.
I'ma big guy too. My second Insight came with a sheepskin seat cover. I am very surprised how much comfort that added over my first one. Hitting my head on entry to the Insight is a problem. No bumps yet from the HCH2 but the seat and seeing position are not right for me.

I may try a seat pad to get some lift.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Have you tried a reconditioning pack?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:47 PM

He got a new one.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

New tires are broken in now. New IMA battery too. Avg so for is 40-44 MPG.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:37 PM

I recently sold my last HCH2, and it has a "healthy" IMA battery (needs periodic grid charging). 10k mile Goodyear Integrity (supposedly LRR), so well broken in.

One of my wife's coworkers, so we keep in touch. He's getting 42mpg in AZ heat with A/C use.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I recently sold my last HCH2, and it has a "healthy" IMA battery (needs periodic grid charging). 10k mile Goodyear Integrity (supposedly LRR), so well broken in.

One of my wife's coworkers, so we keep in touch. He's getting 42mpg in AZ heat with A/C use.
So no more HCH2's in the fleet? What are you driving now?

Quick Reply: Realistic MPG HCH2

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands