HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Not the "typical gas mileage" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Not the "typical gas mileage" thread...

Am I the only hybrid owner who doesn't care so much about gas mileage here? In all honesty, I don't drive the car the way it was intended. I traded in my 07 Si for it. Here in AZ they do allow a hydrid in the HOV lane with 1 person in the car. That is the only reason I bought the car.

I have seen numerous hybrids (we get a funky light blue plate) that don't want to take advantge of using the HOV lane during the rush hour traffic. They would rather sit in the bumper to bumper traffic maybe doing 5 miles and hour while I am zipping buy them.

I haven't done the math (to lazy) but I am curious to know the true savings to be had for those that drive the car as it were intended. I frequently do 75+ miles per hour (keeping up with the flow of traffic) in the HOV lane and I always get at least 500 MPG out of a tank and that's with the AC blowing. I guess saving a few dollars a tank isn't worth the time extra time I have made up driving the car faster and using more gas.

Don't get me wrong, the gas savings and the tax credit are awesome, but if the hybrid wasn't allowed in the HOV lane, I would have never got this car. I am a loyal Honda owner and I miss the SI dearly, but not as much as I would miss taking advantage of HOV lane if I got rid of the hybrid.

So, anyone else here buy the hybrid for the HOV lane use?

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-hybrid-15553/

just found the above thread. I guess I am not the only one.

Last edited by jayhawker; 10-08-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default HOV lane privileges are good

My wife seems to be of the same school as you. Our HCHII is really her car, and one of the big incentives for getting the car was being able to drive in the HOV lane with just one person in the car.

Her mileage is not that good, her lifetime average is currently 39.8 mpg.

For me driving the car is fun just to see how much I can stretch a gallon of gas. She hates me driving it because I enjoy driving the car at 62 while the rest of the traffic is going 75-85.

I guess that even the worst mileage that the HCHII gets is usually double of almost everything else, so everything else is just gravy!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:59 AM
HypoFueler
Default Re: Not the "typical gas mileage" thread...

You certainly can get 60mpg+ if you intend to drive slower with less AC.

Getting 60 versus 45mpg saves 5-6gal (~$15) in fuel every 1000 miles.

I intend to get 60mpg by driving at the limit in the right lane, while the "flow" tends to pass me by. It costs me 4 minutes more to get to work.

In fact, I bet a Civic Si could get in the 40s FE if they drove the speed limit and I bet they would do so if driving the speed limit got them an HOV sticker...

Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jayhawker: I think you are driving the car the way Honda intended you to drive it. H

Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

People vary.

There is no "intended" use for any car, except to be driven.

10 different people are going to have 10 unique sets of priorities on what they expect from their car. And everyone is right.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:14 PM
HOV lane commuter

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
You certainly can get 60mpg+ if you intend to drive slower with less AC.

Getting 60 versus 45mpg saves 5-6gal (~$15) in fuel every 1000 miles.

I intend to get 60mpg by driving at the limit in the right lane, while the "flow" tends to pass me by. It costs me 4 minutes more to get to work.

In fact, I bet a Civic Si could get in the 40s FE if they drove the speed limit and I bet they would do so if driving the speed limit got them an HOV sticker...
So let's see: You end up billing yourself out at a rate of $7.50 an hour for your personal time -- about the net value of the those 8 minutes more you drive each day -- in order to "save" about $1 per trip. Approximately.

Me, I'd rather put those 8 minutes back into my pocket and "spend" the time with family.

I traded in an Accord V-6 that I loved for the HOV sticker + car. No regrets - I've saved 100 hours in time already this year that I've spent with my kids.

Oh yeah, and that saving the earth stuff, too ...

Old 10-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
You certainly can get 60mpg+ if you intend to drive slower with less AC....
Unfortunately driving here without AC is something that I would never do. Granted I do get covered parking at work and the car cools quickly, I still have the AC at 75% the whole drive home.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
So let's see: You end up billing yourself out at a rate of $7.50 an hour for your personal time -- about the net value of the those 8 minutes more you drive each day -- in order to "save" about $1 per trip. Approximately.

Me, I'd rather put those 8 minutes back into my pocket and "spend" the time with family.

I traded in an Accord V-6 that I loved for the HOV sticker + car. No regrets - I've saved 100 hours in time already this year that I've spent with my kids.

Oh yeah, and that saving the earth stuff, too ...
My time/$ calcs. 40 mile trip. 60 miles per hour - 40 min - 60 mpg; 70 miles per hour - 34 min - 50 mpg. At $3/gall - 60 miles per hour - $2.00; 70 miles per hour - $2.40. (no a/c - high tire pressures)
That comes to $.40 for 6 min or $4.00 an hour .... No wonder rational people speed. Even if you make 70 miles per hour go down to 45 mpg, you get $6.66 an hour. I would think the median person's value on time is about $20/hour of after tax money.

If you only use $$$ as a criteria, it is hard to justify hypermiling (unless you are retired). Even with $6 a gallon gas, it starts to approach a rational economic decision - in a civic hybrid. Now - drive an SUV - and you are looking at 2-3x these numbers - then it starts to matter.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 AM
HypoFueler

Sounds like the big time savings is getting an HOV sticker so you can avoid slow traffic and you also save some more time by speeding.

For me, I dont really bill myself as my employer pays me a salary - I dont remember getting several $ cash in my wallet each day for driving faster. I do remember not filling up as often (usually takes more than 4 minutes). Kids are asleep the 4 minutes earlier I leave for work.

I also gave up an Accord 5sp that I used to speed a lot in.

Last edited by spartybrutus; 10-10-2007 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

I agree I purchased this car strictly for the carpool lane. (California allows single occupant HOV access w/ approved stickers)

I also drive a 2006 C6 Corvette and a 2003 Infiniti G35 w/ a GReddy Twin Turbo kit. Obviously, I'm not MPG conscious.

I just want to get to where I am going, quickly!

Quick Reply: Not the "typical gas mileage" thread...

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands