HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Is this normal?

I filled up a new tank of gas today. My lights are now mostly greens and I put on the carpool stickers so I have the option to bypass most traffic if there is any.

On my new tank of gas, on my way home, I have further refined my driving practice (drafting, lighter than a feather touch on gas -- even lighter than before which was already light --, etc.)... I finally left the gas alone when the meter suddenly dropped off from 100+ MPG on the meter to 0... (at 3.3 miles on the tank and displayed 56 MPG)... my displayed MPGs went from 56... 60... 80... 85... 90... 104 MPG at the 11 mile mark ** AND ** I was going uphill at the time (but drafted for the majority of it) but perhaps climbed 45 feet over the 7 mile trip. Then I had to brake because someone cut me off. I started downhill and got the meter to go back to 0 and recovered from 94 back to 99 MPG at 13 miles. Then, from there, to the 31 mile point (my house) I finally had 79.1 MPG displayed.

Is this normal? I realize its a short distance burst. I don't know whether I can achieve it on the way to work but I will try this again on my back home tomorrow. If I do it every day, then I should have a 800 mile tank... woo hoo.

This might be the second time I've done it, because there was another trip where I appearantly achieved 100+ MPG mileage but that was the course of a 70 mile trip or so (30 of which where the same route). Perhaps all these stupid hills I encounter daily are really my friend... rather than *****ing about it I guess I did something about it and its coming so "naturally" to me now. I hardly ever pay much attention to the MPG meter anymore... just occasionally I glance at it but when I saw the 104.0 MPG I nearly crapped my pants. It was actually after that that I tried to "baby" it, didn't want to lose my MPG, you know. My camera batteries were dead so I'll try to do it again and take pictures later.

Also, I have surveillance cameras installed so I can point one of the cameras at my gauges and record a trip so people can "analyze" my driving and figure out what I'm doing because I'm having a hard time really quantifying the various "techniques" I'm applying.

How many of you have had such results for such medium trip?

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by shawnb; 11-07-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is this normal?

I haven't been using my other trip meter for short segments until recently, but I did have a 50 mile (round trip) 68 mpg segment last week. That's displayed, so it would likely have been 70 calculated. Nowhere near as good as your segment, though! Congratulations!

Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
I haven't been using my other trip meter for short segments until recently, but I did have a 50 mile (round trip) 68 mpg segment last week. That's displayed, so it would likely have been 70 calculated. Nowhere near as good as your segment, though! Congratulations!
Anahymbrid, I think you live in Anaheim (near me, I'm near Mission Viejo/Irvine) in Orange Country CA. The segment where I've achieved this twice is on the 57 S. from Lambert in Brea (or Imperial Hwy)... until the 5 S. at Lake Forest Dr (after that its all uphill and lossy MPG). There's quite a few dips on the 5 but there's pleny more "boosting" spots (as I call it) there too, so if you do it right you'll always win... I've tried the 57 S. to 91 E. to 55 S. to 5 S. but the 91 gets way too slow and I have 3 places where I need to accelerate and slow (even though its only a 2 mile stretch until the 55)... so by the time I'm on the 55 I've burned too much juice.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 11-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Yep. That's a well known quirk of the Impg meter. Suspect it happens when the valves seal themselves (positive miles traveled / 0 gas consumed... computers don't like division by zero), but I don't know that Honda's ever out and said that's what's happening.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Shawn... howdy neighbor! I thought you lived in San Diego. Guess I was wrong. I'll have to look for you on the highway. I'll just look for all the surveillance cameras!!!

My commute is from Weir Cyn on the 91 out to Carmenita (and back home in the evening). Pretty flat, other than the standard overpasses and the larger one over the 5. The elevation of the 91 goes from about 300' down to 100' during that stretch.

According to GoogleEarth, the 57 at Lambert is at 430'... so you started that segment with a nice downhill run.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
I'll have to look for you on the highway. I'll just look for all the surveillance cameras!!!
LOL... there's a better way to spot me... I have a sunroof installed on my Civic Hybrid. You'll never see the cameras from the road, they're too small. The size of a shirt button.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 11-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have done some 'testing' and believe it is an ultra high FE 'glitch'. It has happened to me several times, once immediately after I had reset my trip computer - the trip computer average MPG continued to rise rapidly as the instant gauge read '0'.