HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Tires

Just added a set of Bridgestone Ecopia's. Milage appears to be the same as the OEM Dunlops but I recently had the trans go out on this car so not sure how that was affecting my mileage.

Running a long trip in late June so that will be a good test.

Anyone else have experience with this tire??

Old 04-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires

No experience on the Ecopia's but I'd love to hear your feedback on noise levels. My original tires are down to 4/32 and I can't stand how noisy they are now.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Lin, which Ecopias did you get, ie: EP100? There is also EP20, an OEM type tire that some 2010 Prius are coming with. It's only available in 195/65R15 (2006+ Civic Hybrid size), has tread pattern identical to Bridgestone Insignia SE200, and is also LRR.

The EP100 is tested in comparison with other contenders, here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...irePageLocQty=

and does pretty good.

I too would like to hear your experience. Keep in mind Honda tends to choose tires that have LRR for the OEM's, not necessarily flashy, often so-so traction and tread life, but not bad. So, if your brand new Ecopias are matching well-worn OEM, that's a good sign: new tires with full tread tend to reduce mileage a bit.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 04-18-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased the Bridgestone Ecopia to replace my original tires after only 27,000 miles. My mileage had been averaging 36.8 mpg as I drive only around town and in a hilly area. My mileage dropped to 34.4 but has been going up a bit so I am now at 34.6 with the Ecopia. I like these tires much better than than the Goodyear tires that came with the car. The Goodyear tires lacked stability or felt "flighty" - the Ecopia just feel better and I think worth my gas reduction. Hoping mileage increases as I break in the tires.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Arrow Re: New Tires

Which of the Ecopias did you get? There are several models.

Don't forget to check the air pressures. I'll bet they set your new tires on the low side, as is typical at dealer/service facilities.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:11 PM

I was reading my post, and thought it sounded familiar, thinking: yeah, that's just the sort of question I'd ask... Oh.

Steve, I think the guy is gone

Funny thing: the EP20 are identical tread to the Insignia SE200. And the Insignia's come in several semi-undocumented iterations, ie: they all have the same name, and look superficiously the same, but they have different weights, profile dimensions, initial tread depths (maybe), country of origin. Maybe also different rubber formulation, given there appears to be variation in RR.

All-in-all, it's making me wary of Bridgestone in general, and leaned back towards the Michelin Energy Saver, regardless of the higher price.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Arrow Re: New Tires

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
All-in-all, it's making me wary of Bridgestone in general, and leaned back towards the Michelin Energy Saver, regardless of the higher price.
I have to admit – if I were looking for tires, I'd bump the Energy Saver to the top of my list to consider.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

After 40K miles, and still half the tread left, I have to recommend Michelin Pilot Exalto tires. My MPG went up 3 mpg with these tires, they have been very quiet, great traction, and the life of the tire speaks for itself.