HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New to me HCH

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default New to me HCH

Great forum with a wealth of info....would appreciate opinions...my sister gave me a hail damaged 05 HCH with 60k on it...the car is in excellent mechanical condition and most of the damage in confined to the trunk,roof and hood Ive found all the parts I need to repair but should I or should I just drive it...also when I first crank the car the temp. gauge starts out with 2 bars is this normal...many thanks for any intel.....and I look forward to learning more about these cool little cars....I also have a honda MC...

I may have posted on wrong forum, what is the diff. between HCH I and HCH II

Last edited by philwford; 11-26-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New to me HCH

I would not worry about the temp gauge for now! Just make sure the rad. is full of coolant. You may want to pick a scan-gauge eventually and that way you can monitor all kinds of things as well as the cooling system. I have a 06 and love the car. Good luck with it, H

Old 12-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Think green.
Default Re: New to me HCH

Hi Phil,

The HCH I is the first generation HCH (2003-2005); the HCH II is the second generation model (2006-2011), and currently there is the HCH III which just came out for 2012.

I own a 2004, and when I first start it up it always shows 2 bars on the temperature gauge initially. As the engine warms, the temp indicator goes halfway up the gauge, I believe to about 5 bars.

As for the hail damage, it's up to you whether it looks bad and you want to spend the money to make it look nicer; I suppose it depends on the price of your replacement parts. Hey, maybe just do the hood and trunk...short folks like me won't see the roof anyway...
Mine has always had the occasional scratch ever since it was purchased used; I ignore it.

Good luck with your car!

Last edited by Gairwyn; 12-01-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: New to me HCH

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
Hi Phil,

The HCH I is the first generation HCH (2003-2005); the HCH II is the second generation model (2006-2011), and currently there is the HCH III which just came out for 2012.

I own a 2004, and when I first start it up it always shows 2 bars on the temperature gauge initially. As the engine warms, the temp indicator goes halfway up the gauge, I believe to about 5 bars.

As for the hail damage, it's up to you whether it looks bad and you want to spend the money to make it look nicer; I suppose it depends on the price of your replacement parts. Hey, maybe just do the hood and trunk...short folks like me won't see the roof anyway...
Mine has always had the occasional scratch ever since it was purchased used; I ignore it.

Good luck with your car!
Thanks for answering all my questions....the car is in excellent shape otherwise, Ive found all the parts for a little under 1k less paint...I believe I will drive it for a while am in no hurry to spend money...

Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: New to me HCH

Some dent/bumper specialty companies can do impeccable inexpensive repairs where hail damage has occurred.