HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Navi Observations

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default Navi Observations

I opted for the Navi model. In my old car I used a Garmin 350. Couple of observations:

1) Both the HCH II Navi and Garmin use maps from NAVTEQ. But the implementation is very different as the Garmin unit had many more streets and addresses identified.

2) I miss the auto zoom feature of the Garmin that changes the map view based on vehicle speed. Faster speed -- zoom out and show more map. Slow down -- zoom in and see more detail.

My sense is Honda and Alpine may have taken some shortcuts. I enjoy the voice control and internal yaw/speed adjustments of the Navi, the Garmin was a better device given the broader map coverage.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm happy with the Navi -- and perhaps expected too much given the premium price.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Navi Observations

Unfortunately it is a cost of convenience as opposed to quality...

Until people stop buying cars with integrated Navigational units, manufactures will continue to install low quality high price units....

I have a TomTom and the built in Navigation, by far I love the TomTom, but then again, The built in Nav didn't cost me much more than the non-nav....

Old 12-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Energy Independence

I like the fact that it IS built-in, and that the screen is 7" wide, instead of 3.5" or 4.3". That accounts for a lot in driver safety, I think. But then again, I've never used a portable unit in a car before.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Part Time Hybrids

Well from our Pilot at least I notice the 05 navi doesn't have the recalculating issue when going under bridges. My plug Nuvi unit for the civic recalculates the route when passing under a highway, assuming I've somehow entered the highway.

On some underpasses around Hartford here, it does multiple changes to the route assuming each side of the highway.

I do enjoy the spoken street names on the Garmin unit, something the dash nav doesn't have.

Last edited by Sungod18; 12-29-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Why can't they just make the NAVI exactly as we all want it??

Seriously though, I'm glad I opted for the NAVI. I used to end up pulling over and looking at a map when I hit detours, or traffic, etc. Now I know that I can just take an exit, and it will create a new route for me if I drive far enough!

Still, it doesn't take the place of having true directions once you get close to where you are headed. By that, meaning have someone tell you where to turn and which way to go to actually reach the destination. I definitely like the large screen though.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Remember, the amount of guidance can be adjusted with the built-in. With the level of voice guidance set at maximum, upcoming turns and named by street I believe. I'm not sure about additional map detail.