HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default My ouch!

Walked around my car today and noticed a dime-sized hole in my right side view mirror turn signal lens . Have no memory of getting it... haven't even drafted off any trucks in a while! I know it wasn't there at my last car wash (a week or so ago). Guess I'll need to get a replacement lens and get to work... don't want dirt and water to get into the electronics within the mirror. Guessing it'll be a small fortune to get the lens (I'll do my own labor).

Be sure to inspect your lenses from time to time. They're obviously targets for road debris!

Old 12-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My ouch!

Though I hope that is not the case (for cost reasons) I suspect you will not be able to pruchase just the lens. In the even that is the case, I my understanding is that the entire mirror assembly is over $150 even at online discount dealers..

Let us know

Old 12-14-2006, 10:17 PM

My hunt online showed that the individual pieces of the mirror are available (mirror housing, pre-painted was about $35, mirror glass was about $12, etc.). Of course, the most expensive part (even more than the whole housing) is the turn signal. Seems it's the turn signal assembly (includes the bulb and socket and the lens). This jewel is $90.

I'll be REPAIRING my lens this weekend with an acrylic compound I have. The hole is nearly perfectly round... no cracking surrounding it. The lens isn't perfectly clear, so I suspect it will hide the repair well. I'll take some before and after shots! Wish me luck!

Old 12-15-2006, 09:46 AM

Sorry for your bad luck. Good luck in the repair!

Old 12-18-2006, 03:27 PM

Update... My repair did NOT go very well! I successfully removed the lamp assembly, but found that the lamp and lens are fused together as one piece! I took my dremel and sawed the edges successfully... then separated the lens from the housing. Next was to repair the hole. I had a windshield repair kit, but that's really meant for smaller bullseyes and cracks. It's also meant for glass. So... I found a "Crystal clear" epoxy from Permatex. I used plastic cling wrap on the outside and poured the mixed epoxy in the hole. Perfect fix... until it suddenly turned as bright yellow as pee! How Permatex could in their wildest dreams consider this "crystal clear", is beyond me. I attempted to remove the yellow blob, and cracked the lens in half in the process. Crap. $100 down the drain, thanks to Permatex. Now I have to drive around with plastic cling wrap on the outside of the whole mirror due to wind, dirt & rain... until I can get the replacement part.

I have a business acquaintance at Honda corporate who was nice enough to sell me the part at employee cost. I also purchased a trunk tray. Only problem is I have to drive to Torrance to pick them up tomorrow! I now know what my wife can get me for Christmas!

Old 12-23-2006, 06:22 PM

And the final update... I got the new turn signal lamp and it was an easy installation (didn't have to take the mirror off the door... just remove the four screws under the mirror glass). Good as new. Now I need to stay away from those nasty rocks!