HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My latest HCHII Mod - Instant-fill

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default My latest HCHII Mod - Instant-fill

I got a new mod for the HCHII today. A Stant Instant-Fill gas cap. With this cap you do not have to remove it to fill the tank, just stick the gas pump nozzle into the cap. I got the cap on Amazon for $15.00 It is a Stant model STA:41001 fuel tank cap.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: My latest HCHII Mod - Instant-fill

Now THAT is clever... for the 2X a year that I have to fill my tank. The top-of-mind question is how well does it (and will it continue to) seal in gas and its vapors? Nice find – thanks for sharing!

Of concern is this customer feedback posted on Amazon:
"On two different cars (Chrysler and Kia) caps failed to seal and brought on the Check Engine light. The old PermaCap was on a Lincoln for many years with no failures. Basically the Instant Fill is an inferior design. The Stant will also allow moisture to collect in the flap door depression which unloads into the tank when the filler nozzle is inserted. It is a terrific idea, but needs better product design and engineering."

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 08-22-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added customer feedback
Old 08-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: My latest HCHII Mod - Instant-fill

Stant is the biggest designer and manufacturer of fuel tank caps in the world.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:31 AM

A bit off topic:

I noticed with a past Accord when parked after an extended drive in warm weather you could hear a faint whistle/hum from the gas cap corner of the car. I know now it's normal, pressure venting, but at the time I wasn't sure. Anyway, the next time we were in for service I asked the guy if this was normal, or was it a sign of some problem.

A few weeks later I started noticing a smell of gas: Honda's finest had "solved" the problem, drilled a hole right through the cap.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 08-25-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

What happened after you found the hole?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:32 PM

Purchased a new cap with my funds, and started going to another dealership. Should have got them to fund it, but just was sick of hassling with the "pros". I know there are good people in the business, but this outfit was not that hot.

Actually started doing most of the minor things myself around that time anyway.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had one of these caps in my car and it gave me nothing but hell. Fuel cap loose messages happened every second day. I tossed the POS (same model) in the dealers garbage bin and put the original cap back on. no more fuel emissions and no more messages since that day.

good luck

k

Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

It is unfortunate that you had such a bad experience with your cap. There are some pretty specific installation instructions for the cap, and I followed them completely. So far, my cap has performed perfectly.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Arrow Re: My latest HCHII Mod - Instant-fill

Originally Posted by Orient Express
There are some pretty specific installation instructions for the cap, and I followed them completely. So far, my cap has performed perfectly.
It'd be super if the reported problems could all be explained as simply as not following gas cap installation instructions. But, how hard could it be to install a gas cap correctly? It's intriguing to imagine what these pretty specific installation instructions might entail – please tell! (Sorry, not meaning to sound flip... just ribbing you.)

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 08-27-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Hybrid Neophyte

Is it really a big deal to unscrew and then RE-screw a gas cap? Once a week for me right now. I guess arthritis could creep up and make it difficult over time, but even still...

Quick Reply: My latest HCHII Mod - Instant-fill

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands