HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Michelin X-Radial DT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Michelin X-Radial DT?

Has anyone tried these on their HCH II? I found them at Costco on sale and some Prius owners seem to like them.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:41 PM
HypoFueler
Default Re: Michelin X-Radial DT?

Put Mich MXV5 on last winter - so far much better ride than OEM Dunlops but probably 3-4mpg FE hit....

Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
Put Mich MXV5 on last winter - so far much better ride than OEM Dunlops but probably 3-4mpg FE hit....
Thanks! How many miles do you have on the tires (breaking in still?), and how are they in the snow?

Old 05-20-2008, 03:10 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by medicmike
Thanks! How many miles do you have on the tires (breaking in still?), and how are they in the snow?

Tires good in the snow - better than Dunlops as may have larger contact patch. Have 7k miles on them. I suppose break in was 2-3k miles.

I aired them up higher than the Dunlops as max sidewall higher than Dunlops. Still, can tell that coasting distance is reduced some versus Dunlops and thats probably cost me 2-3mpg.

Happy problems if I can keep the FE above 50mpg

Old 05-20-2008, 03:12 AM
HypoFueler

Tires good in the snow - better than Dunlops as may have larger contact patch. Have 7k miles on them. I suppose break in was 2-3k miles. These were replaced ahead of the rear camber TSB at 18k mi and Honda ended up paying for 1/2 of the new tires cost.

I aired them up higher than the Dunlops as max sidewall higher than Dunlops. Still, can tell that coasting distance is reduced some versus Dunlops and thats probably cost me 2-3mpg.

Happy problems if I can keep the FE above 50mpg

Old 05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

Has anyone tried these on their HCH II? I found them at Costco on sale and some Prius owners seem to like them.
I got some Mich Radial Xs for my Dodge Mini. Great in the snow when new, but as they wear down, the rubber doesn't stick unless it is bone dry.. Not so much in skidding, but take offs.. They spin easy when even a bit wet, but then seem to keep me on the road. I think that is why they last, the rubber gets harder down in the tread, at the cost of traction. Got mine at Sams club.

I would buy them again. I like the tire, it seams durable.

I had one set of Goodyear Arrivas after the OEM Michelins (not all that great), and was fairly happy for about a year(hence good YEAR), then one belt shift. Bought three more, and got three more belt shifts. I would never buy Goodyear again. The Michelins x have been on for over a year..

Last edited by badtranny; 05-20-2008 at 03:58 PM.