HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

lurching CVT

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default lurching CVT

I was in stop and go traffic last week, After about 15 minutes of creeping along. My car started to buck on slow acceleration like a new driver with a standard transmission, I tried starting slowly between D and S the bucking was in both ranges. Once traffic cleared I continued on my way,using normal acceleration. I have car booked in to get looked at This Saturday. Car has worked normally since then and i cannot find a spot where there is no traffic to try and duplicate this situation.At least I will have the issue documented.Has anyone had this problem with there CVT transmission??

Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: lurching CVT

I have the same problem, maybe not as severe as what you describe. It is happening even if I am not in heavy traffic. I have about 10k miles and when I told my dealer at my first oil change, they said that there is nothing wrong, it is how the CVT works!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: lurching CVT

FWIW,

I had the same issue develop between 15-20K and worsened. I also began to get a burning smell after awhile, even though my trans fluid level stayed normal. After I changed my very dirty fluid at 24K, the problem went away though I noticed the same burning smell when I drained the fluid and it is now gone after the change. Perhaps changing your fluid will help?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Have you ever found out why your CVT oil is getting so hot? H

Old 10-25-2007, 12:14 PM

As for the burnt oil, I finally got an appointment this week. The intermittent burning smell has dissapated since I changed the trans fluid. The dealer could not find anything wrong and suggested it may have just been b/c the trans was new and "breaking in," hence a lot of junk in the fluid. The CVT appears to be shifting much better now after the multiple changes, we'll see the next time around if they're right. At least it's documented if it blows out at around 100K like some of the HCH Is have.
My 2 cents worth: Resist the urge to save cash and only do 1 fluid change the 1st time, do the multiple changes like the manual says, earlier than 30K miles if the trans starts to get exceptionally jerky.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM

Thanks Mike. I think I'll do the flush 3 times! Seems like a bit of over-kill, but better safe than sorry. H

Old 10-25-2007, 06:57 PM

I actually ended up getting about 6.5 qts out after the second drain, which still came back a little dark but notably more pink with what appeared to be much better viscousity so I stopped at 2 and held onto the 3rd. I figured the dealer might drain it to inspect it and I'd get a free flush. Don't know if they actually did but the oil on the stick looks good enough. The drain plug was [I]loaded[I] with gunk, though, during the first change and the oil was very dark. Change it twice and judge for yourself. I know some here will disagree with me and I'm not claiming to be an expert. ~$20 for the extra fluid and 15 minutes of my time is still cheaper than a CVT rebuild down the road.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 PM

I thought you could only get 3 quarts out per flush? I better read my manual again! H

Old 10-26-2007, 12:59 PM

That's waht the manual says, but my recepticle had quart markings and I got ~6.5 qts.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:21 PM

Did you over fill it Mike? Loose count or something like that ,HEH HEH<grin>H

Quick Reply: lurching CVT

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands