HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

I'm brand new to hybrids & found a great deal on an 06 Civic, what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast
Question I'm brand new to hybrids & found a great deal on an 06 Civic, what do I need to know?

Hi -

I'm thinking about replacing a vehicle that was recently totaled in a crash with a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid that I found for a great deal. However, I'm very much uneducated when it comes to hybrid cars.

So, what are the basics that I should find out about this car in terms of being a hybrid? What are some issues that have been noted about these cars? Are there specific things I should know to look for that are different than a non-hybrid car?

Thanks so much - I have always wanted a hybrid and now that I might have a chance, I feel like I need to be as educated as I can before making any decisions.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: I'm brand new to hybrids & found a great deal on an 06 Civic, what do I need to k

Hi Claire,

A thorough inspection would be best. Have your mechanic check the brakes, tires, suspension, belts, hoses,condition of fluids, and road test.

2006 models sometimes need the rear suspension upper control arms replaced with aftermarket (adjustable) camber arms to correct the alignment and prevent tire cupping - this is maybe 300 dollars parts and labor.

A good hybrid mechanic (dealer?) could check the car for codes and such.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: I'm brand new to hybrids & found a great deal on an 06 Civic, what do I need to k

How many miles are on the car?

The biggest issue and most expensive is the IMA battery failing after the Honda warranty ends. This was recently extended via a court settlement for another 12 months and 12K miles.

All depends on your location. Here in MD, it extended to 92K miles and 9 years coverage for the IMA battery.

Other than that, these cars get outstanding mileage, even on the highway when driven properly and with healthy IMA batteries. I average 48mpg.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Enthusiast

get all the warranty you can get. It's worth it if you are planing to keep it over 5 years.