HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCHII in the shop...again

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default HCHII in the shop...again

I had to take the car back into the shop. Currently at 45k km. Service engine came on, and the orange IMA/recharge light (Canadian Version of the car)

That's not so bad, stuff happens. The dealer didn't know how to diagnose it so they gave me a loaner while they puzzle it out.

When I brought the car in, I mentioned that it pulls to the right and the right rear tire is wearing more then the left rear. Last service they replaced the rear suspension control arms as per the tsb. I think they didn't align the car properly when they replaced it.

I asked them to realign, they said it was caused by the tires being overinflated. I run the stock dunlops at 42 psi, they are rated for 45? I think. If it was overinflating wouldn't both rear tires be wearing in the center instead of just one.

I have the tires below the rated max - shouldn't that be ok???

Old 06-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCHII in the shop...again

Should have nothing to do with your tires. I've been running mine at 44 psi and I know there's others who run them just as high, if not higher. Tires just roll, I can't imagine they would mess up the alignment.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think I would be looking for a new Dealer! It sounds like these guys don't have a clue. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am. Good luck and keep us posted.H

Old 06-03-2008, 06:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hehe..I called them - they said the car was ready to be picked up.....

Here's the whole story.

May 29th, 8:30 pm : My wife was driving the car, the service engine light came on, and one other light (she's not sure which one it was). She pulled over, turned the car off, restarted it. Only the service engine light stayed on.

May 30th : I called the dealer made an appointment to bring the car in. They said to drive it around to see if the light goes out. I refused to do this, made an appointment for Saturday to bring it in 9am.

May 31st : Brought the car in for service. They did thier thing, replaced the brake light switch as per the recall and told me the car was ready to go. I thanked them paid my bill (I had also bought wiper blade refills) and set off for home.

I get 1 km down the road (coasting downhill) the Yellow regen warning came on, the Service engine light came on. The state of charge indicators dropped to 0, the electric boost quit working, the car ran a bit rough and was extremely sluggish (it was charging at 4 bars at idle). I turn around and drop off the car still running at the service bay, they look at it, and tell me to drive it home until they can call Honda on how to fix it.

I say I do not want to drive the car in case I cause more damage. I ask if there are any loaners. After some discussion (the service guy seemed to not want to give me a loaner - my sales guy was very helpful and got me a loaner) I get the loaner car and drive home.

June 2 : After not hearing from the dealer I give them a call at 3 pm. They were busy they will call me back. at 4:15 pm I call them again. I was told the car was ready, come pick it up. I asked what was wrong, they said that the service guys were not available for an explanation, but that the car was ready.

I drive the ~50 km to the dealer. I get the keys, I start the car. It started via the emergency starter not the regular main IMA starter. The IMA light came on, the battery light came on, the service engine light came on.

I went back into the dealer, leaving the engine running and asked them to take a look to witness all the lights. (no service staff after 4) this was around 6:00 pm. I turned off the car, restarted it, and only the service engine light remained on.

I'm guessing they just reset the computer and said it was ready - again.

I drove home with the loaner. More to follow I bet.

It sounds to me like a lack of training for thier repair staff. I'm not angry at them not being able to fix the car. I have a loaner, it's km on thier car not mine. I am annoyed at them wasting my time. I am annoyed at them lying to me that they fixed the car when (I think) they just reset the error and hoped it would go away. There is another dealer even further away ~70 km from my home.

The sales guy told me they've sold every hybrid on the lot - I think they better start learning on how to fix thier cars.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:01 AM

Not fun, I'll bet! Sounds like the car has serious problem. H

Old 06-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Kevin;

I can't always hide my disappointment when I hear stories like yours. Mind you, this is still far better than what it used to be 4-5 years ago, but with OK numbers of HCH's being sold in Canada, you would expect most service managers to give their top one or two service people the training they actually need.
Some of the smaller dealerships are managed with absolute minimums and service departments are the first to show this. You see it the obvious lack of familiarity and knowledge their staff have with hybrids as a dead "give-away".

Anyhow, as Harold said: If possible, consider looking for another dealer ASAP. It is clear that they cannot afford your business and you cannot afford their technical ineptitude.

Good luck;

MSantos

Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

The dealer that's 70 km away is even smaller. I guess the closest large one would be in Ottawa...a 2.5-3 hour drive away.

I bet they won't pay for towing, then blame me that I ruined the car while driving it with the engine light on.

I'll keep up on them. They need to learn how to fix thier cars, I want a local dealer that knows what they are doing..even if i have to drive them kicking and screaming to the learning centres hehe....oh wait...my car's busted.

Last edited by Ontario07Civic; 06-03-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Kevin:

I would also suggest you write to Corporate Honda in Mississauga, and CC the letter to the Service Manager as well the dealership's General Manager. In this letter, describe the issues, times and dates as well as the feedback given to you by the SD personnel.

Please let me know if you need any contact information beyond what Honda Canada provides and I'll PM it to you.

When did you purchase your 2007? If it was between the fall of 2006 and May 2007 then you "may" have a Rotor/Stator position sensor malfunction which will mean a service downtime of 2-3 days for their replacement.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

We purchased the car at the end of March 2007 - the week after the eco-auto program was announced hehe.

BTW : that rebate took almost a year to get.

Update : they're doing the work for the "Rotor/Stator position sensor malfunction" as you indicated msantos - I called them and suggested that they look into it.

Thanks! I sure hope that's it.

Last edited by Ontario07Civic; 06-03-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:13 PM

I figured that was the problem, just couldn't remember the name of the part. H

Quick Reply: HCHII in the shop...again

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands