HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Going hat in hand for software update

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Going hat in hand for software update

Hi all:

Been a while. Pushing 107,000 kms on my '07 (purchased new 05 Apr 2007). Historical summer economy has been 4.64 L/100 km.

At the beginning of this summer season, I noticed a change in the 'apparent reserve capacity' of the IMA battery IF A/C was used in an urban driving situation.

Where historically the SOC would always be at the top 2/3, running A/C in town with stop and go was quickly (for me, over a 3 minute or so period) bringing the SOC down to about 2 bars.

I stopped using AC in town. In extra-urban driving, use of the AC has had no effect on the SOC unless a WOT pass is required.

Historically, I could get 3 WOT passes before the SOC would drop from 4/5 to1/2. Now I get one WOT pass before the SOC drops from 4/5 to 1/2.

Last Saturday, I had to run the AC in town due to the weather, etc. SOC bars kept going down over a 5 minute period until NO (first time ever for me) SOC bars showed. I had the single green bar (forced regen) for the majority of the rest of the trip. Got home and SOC had worked its way back up to about 2/3. Trip was 5.7L/100 km....worst summer milage trip ever.

No IMA light.

Gut instinct: my battery is getting 'tired'.

I'm taking it in for 06 Aug 2010 dated bulletin number IV-7-10 (attached).

I expect a 50% chance that the upgrade will simply mask a deteriorating battery and a 50% chance that I will get another 5.5 years of trouble free driving with this car (want 10 years out of it).

I have about 22,000 km of warranty left on the IMA battery portion of the car.

I'll post long term results as they become apparent.

Mike

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
hybrid recall-1.pdf (75.6 KB, 297 views)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Going hat in hand for software update

Thanks Mike. H

Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

I just read the honda recall document. It look like the car may not be as fuel effiency as it is right now (4.8l/100 on your signature). Look like the IMA system will not use the battery so much after. Based on what i read.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just read the honda recall document. It look like the car may not be as fuel effiency as it is right now (4.8l/100 on your signature). Look like the IMA system will not use the battery so much after. Based on what i read.
I hear you. I have 4 years and 5 months of accurate fuel use data. All I can do is see what the long term effect of the new software fix is.

I'll go thru a tankful of gas and see what change, if any, there is.

I'll keep track of any noticeable changes (i.e. the SOC gauge is staying close to "1/2" as per the software update explanation)

Cheers

Mike

Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by navguy12
Hi all:

Been a while. Pushing 107,000 kms on my '07 (purchased new 05 Apr 2007). Historical summer economy has been 4.64 L/100 km.

At the beginning of this summer season, I noticed a change in the 'apparent reserve capacity' of the IMA battery IF A/C was used in an urban driving situation.

Where historically the SOC would always be at the top 2/3, running A/C in town with stop and go was quickly (for me, over a 3 minute or so period) bringing the SOC down to about 2 bars.

I stopped using AC in town. In extra-urban driving, use of the AC has had no effect on the SOC unless a WOT pass is required.

Historically, I could get 3 WOT passes before the SOC would drop from 4/5 to1/2. Now I get one WOT pass before the SOC drops from 4/5 to 1/2.

Last Saturday, I had to run the AC in town due to the weather, etc. SOC bars kept going down over a 5 minute period until NO (first time ever for me) SOC bars showed. I had the single green bar (forced regen) for the majority of the rest of the trip. Got home and SOC had worked its way back up to about 2/3. Trip was 5.7L/100 km....worst summer milage trip ever.

No IMA light.

Gut instinct: my battery is getting 'tired'.

I'm taking it in for 06 Aug 2010 dated bulletin number IV-7-10 (attached).

I expect a 50% chance that the upgrade will simply mask a deteriorating battery and a 50% chance that I will get another 5.5 years of trouble free driving with this car (want 10 years out of it).

I have about 22,000 km of warranty left on the IMA battery portion of the car.

I'll post long term results as they become apparent.

Mike
Are you still on your first hybrid battery? If so, you are heading in the direction of needing a replacement. Mine lasted three years, and got replaced under warranty. The software update won't change a battery that isn't performing as well. Might wanna check the little 12v battery as well. The OEM battery for me starts loosing its cranking amps at 2 years and my first was dead at three years in Texas heat. ( although the car is garaged at almost all times when not being driven). An aging 12v battery isn't helpful to the IMA system at all.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Are you still on your first hybrid battery?
Yes.

If so, you are heading in the direction of needing a replacement. Mine lasted three years, and got replaced under warranty. The software update won't change a battery that isn't performing as well.
Like any Ni-Cad battery, mine is starting to show it is tired. Nothing harsh, just very subtle (as long as I don't use A/C in stop and go traffic, which I almost never do). I have 21,000 km remaining on the battery warranty and I understand if no IMA light, no replacement. Not gonna loose sleep on it, just keep track of numbers and see where they plot out as time goes by. I'm prepared to spend $3000 on a new battery whilst holding onto the car for the full 10 years.....

Might wanna check the little 12v battery as well.
I'll keep an eye on it. Seems to hold about 12.6 volts just sitting in the car, so again I'll keep track of my numbers and see what happens.

For the record, my last fill up results: period 15 Aug - 13 Sep 2011. 85% Urban driving. 905 kms, 43.96 liters (to the top) 4.82L/100 km.

I simply do not have enough data points to ascertain what the software update has done for me, but I will post results as they unfold.....

Old 09-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Update: have now put on about 1200 kms with new software update.

Latest fill-up results: 681.9 km; 31.438 liters; 4.61L/100 km
One year ago: 767.3 km; 34.704 liters; 4.52L/100 km

Drive-ability changes noticed so far:
  • sometimes, at first start of the day, the ICE will have a tad of "high idle speed" for a few seconds.....never had this before.
  • the SOC gauge usually now reads 5 or 6 lit units but will show almost full at times
  • if SOC shows almost full or full, one vigorous WOT merge onto the freeway and the SOC will fall to its 5 or 6 units lit range
I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Mike

Old 09-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Update: Another highway trip (loop) to the GTA, Cambridge, Guelph and home.

Pure stats: 617 km, 26.44 liters (all I could jamb in), 4.29L per 100 km.

65% at 100 kph
20% at 80 kph
15% urban

No AC used.

Impressions: I think city driving will be somewhat worse than historical averages but highway driving may prove to be an improvement on historical averages.

Cheers

Mike