HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

First tank results

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default First tank results

Have had the car a little more than a week and so far am loving it. My fuel light came on yesterday and as I'm new to the car I wanted to fill up somewhat soon. After the last bar disappeared I was able to put only 10.82 gallons in after 559.4 miles on TripB. The car already had 164 miles on it from the dealer, so I reset the tripB as I left the lot. I was consistently at 49mpg until the last couple of days have been a tad chillier which choked me down to 48.4 at time of fillup on the display. Now, maybe I didn't fill up as much as I could have (went $.50 after the first click) but my calculations were 51.7mpg. And, since reading quite a bit of information on this site I've learned that the computer's numbers vary slightly lower on these cars.

So, 51.7mpg on the very first tank I think is awesome and I can't wait till the ICE really "breaks in" to see what numbers I'll be getting (plus it'll be warm again by then!).

My tips to getting the 51.7mpg were reading Tarabell's article, gliding/coasting whenever possible, not speeding as much as in my other car, and keeping the revs below 2k rpm at normal speed ups (actually found 1500 rpm to not be very slow at all, so tried for that when traffic allowed).

Recomended features for Honda to add to the car :
Illuminated key ring (for finding the ignition)
Sun visor mirror lighting
Larger trunk opening & better design on the lid support arms (they need too much space to lower the lid)

Old 11-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First tank results

Adam,

"Thumbs Up" !!!!

Hypering it from the jump out of the starting blocks. It going to be worth the watch for the next 2,440 & the few 10ths. To get 50 + per from the get go gives note that you have the methods dialed in. Curiuos, what would say your averages where on speeds, miles driven percentages around town & over the open road ????

The weather has me curious as well how it play into the mix as it gets colder. I am just really begining to understand the "HCH II". Some of my recent trips, as the temps have dropped I have managed fairly decent 50 + numbers blending in some higher speeds, although 90%-95% is hghway driving.

"Continued Success" !!!!

John

p.s. With you on the "Key Ring" jazz, but hey it's Civic ( lol ), built for high mileage.

Last edited by nitrojohnny; 11-19-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Energy Independence

Yes, congrats Adam!

You're kickin' it right from the start

Old 11-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Contratulations!!!

Great First Tank!

Old 11-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Enthusiast

Nitro, average speed on the interstate was 62mph (55mph speed limit), did have it up to 72 on a down slope as well. It was really a mix of driving...something like 60% highway. And I wouldn't really call the highway here in hampton roads quite "open".

As for the cold weather, it doesn't stay consistently cold enough here in the winter for me to think of investing in a block heater, but before this car we looked at a Jetta TDI. Come to find out, the diesel motor in the new jetta uses a glow plug in the main coolant flow to heat the coolant up quickly (to reduce clatter noise faster). IMO this would be something Honda should definately look into for their hybrids. Quicker warmups = better mpg