HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Driver's seat lumbar being shaved down on Monday....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Driver's seat lumbar being shaved down on Monday....

Hi Everyone,

For some reason when I test drove the HCH2 I didn't notice the "built in" unadjustable lumbar in the driver's and passenger's seats and it's become so uncomfortable for me that it's either sell the car or attempt to have the foam in the seat-back shaved down flat which is what I'm doing on Monday. I've been quoted $200 by an auto/marine upolstery shop with over 30 years experience so I feel comfortable with the process. Apparently I've got to be there because they're going to shave down a little at a time until the seat feels comfortable to me. I'll try to take some pictures to post here for anyone who is curious about how this will turn out. According to the owner I'm the first person to actually go to this extreme but I know I can't be the only person with a Gen2 civ hybrid that has this complaint??? As soon as I have a chance I'll report back as to how things turn out, can't wait.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Driver's seat lumbar being shaved down on Monday....

Good luck and keep us posted. My seats are OK but a little on the hard side. I am hoping they will soften up in time. Cheers,H

Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wouldn't it be easier to see if the '05 Civic seat would fit in your seat's place?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

somebody had more added for lumbar. i wouldn't shave down too much where the fabric would look baggy in the seat. do take pictures of the process.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Why are you not able to fit in the 95th percentile seat? Are you circumferencelly challenged?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Hybrid Owner

I find the lumbar support to be perfect when the seat is in the upright position (and the seatback trays folded...j/k)

I just did 500 miles today with no lower back complaints (although my tailbone got sore if I didn't stop every 100 miles)

Old 02-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Why are you not able to fit in the 95th percentile seat? Are you circumferencelly challenged?

I'm 6'1 160 and in perfect shape. you on the other hand are obviously lacking any social graces or understanding of my post. do you even know what a lumbar is or what an adjustable lumbar is which this vehicle does not have?????????????? unbelievable.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Ok, so you are a bean pole, but why do you feel mutilating the seat back will make you fit any better?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 PM
USAF Retired

I'm 6'-2", and there is not enough lumbar support for me. A couple of weeks ago I went non-stop (except for fuel and lunch) from Kingman to S.A., about 1,200 miles, and the seat wasn't that bad, although I'm considering a RECARO seat replacement.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Don't sweat OE's comment, he was just kidding. Note the smiley.

Good luck with your work.

I had lumbar added by a similar shop. $200 seems a bit high, except that they are going to have you their to work with. I guess that makes it reasonable.

I look forward to pics and reviews.

For anyone contemplating replacing your seat, keep in mind that you will lose your torso-side mounted airbag. Unacceptable loss, IMO.

Has anyone tried the seats in a Civic EX-L? They are likely a direct replacement, although pricey I'm sure.

Cheers, nf

Quick Reply: Driver's seat lumbar being shaved down on Monday....

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands