HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

CVT Transmission Problem - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 04:26 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy CVT Transmission Problem - HELP!

Hi guys I have now owned my HCH2 2006 for over 3 years, last year I did carry out a CVT flush just for my own peace of mind however last night ran into a problem...

I was driving around at 25MPH when all of a sudden car lost power to the wheels, so I pulled over to find that there was no movement regardless to whether I had it in Reverse, Drive or S. Its as if its stuck in Neutral, the gear does select perfectly well and exhaust note changes accordingly so it recognizes and selects as per normal I am wondering if these have a torque converter or could it be a starter clutch

I am hoping someone can help me as I cant find anything online

Old 09-01-2016, 06:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT Transmission Problem - HELP!

Originally Posted by Muussaah
Hi guys I have now owned my HCH2 2006 for over 3 years, last year I did carry out a CVT flush just for my own peace of mind however last night ran into a problem...

I was driving around at 25MPH when all of a sudden car lost power to the wheels, so I pulled over to find that there was no movement regardless to whether I had it in Reverse, Drive or S. Its as if its stuck in Neutral, the gear does select perfectly well and exhaust note changes accordingly so it recognizes and selects as per normal I am wondering if these have a torque converter or could it be a starter clutch

I am hoping someone can help me as I cant find anything online
Sounds like the drive belt has broken.

My guess is your CVT is done, and you have a huge repair bill ahead of you.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: CVT Transmission Problem - HELP!

Originally Posted by S Keith
Sounds like the drive belt has broken.

Continuously Variable Transaxle (CVT) Operation - YouTube

My guess is your CVT is done, and you have a huge repair bill ahead of you.

Thanks for the link Keith!

I have the following options so which would you advise from maybe experience or from whats common...

I can take it to Honda however they want £125 per hour for investigation and stated they need it for a day! or I can buy a complete second hand CVT gearbox for £750 and get my local garage to fit.

A few questions I have is I have been told to work on these cars after you hit the kill switch for the hybrid battery (containing 160v) which is behind the rear seats, is this correct?

Is it likely that whatever it is, is within the gearbox? could it be anything else like drive train/shaft? I was thinking if it was driveshaft the oil would have leaked which it hasn't.

Much Appreciated!

Old 09-02-2016, 11:47 AM

If you drain your CVT fluid, you'll likely see metal. If that shows nothing, I believe you can drop the CVT pan and you would definitely see metal if the belt is broken.

I don't know if it's an issue on the HCH2, but the older Insights had issue with the drive spline.

If your local garage can do the drain/pan drop for that price, I'd go that route.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast

If you drain your CVT fluid, you'll likely see metal. If that shows nothing, I believe you can drop the CVT pan and you would definitely see metal if the belt is broken.

I don't know if it's an issue on the HCH2, but the older Insights had issue with the drive spline.

If your local garage can do the drain/pan drop for that price, I'd go that route.
Do you know if the gearbox has an ECU? also is the torque converter part of the gearbox or is that separate? as if I buy the second hand gearbox how will I know if the torque converter is in there or not?

Old 09-03-2016, 09:13 AM

I don't know if the CVT has a dedicated ECU, but it interfaces with one.

CVTs do not have torque converters. They have forward and reverse clutches.

CVTs fail in 2 primary ways:

Clutch failures - they are generally progressive. You notice jerkiness and then you can't engage in ONE direction, not both.

Belt failures - Connection between drive and driven pulleys is lost completely.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast

I don't know if the CVT has a dedicated ECU, but it interfaces with one.

CVTs do not have torque converters. They have forward and reverse clutches.

CVTs fail in 2 primary ways:

Clutch failures - they are generally progressive. You notice jerkiness and then you can't engage in ONE direction, not both.

Belt failures - Connection between drive and driven pulleys is lost completely.
Wow! ok its just that Honda Bristol have clearly told me that if its the torque converter I'm looking at over £1400 plus labour lol

My garage is removing gearbox tomorrow, anything I need to know before they disassemble? I know about flicking the kill switch behind the rear seat for IMA but is there anything else or is it like any other gearbox removal?
thanks!

Old 09-10-2016, 07:24 AM

Dealers sometimes use language they think is more familiar to the owner to establish understanding. Sometimes, they are just idiots. Hard to say in this case.

I've personally never done a CVT swap, but many have gone exactly the route you have without issue.