HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Cabin Filter Changed - Ugh!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Cabin Filter Changed - Ugh!

At just over 17,000 miles and 10 months of ownership, I changed the cabin filter this weekend. In a word, it was disgusting. I should have changed it months ago.

The change was very easy to do. A two mintue job, tops. The only problem was the local dealership was very proud of the filter, they wanted 50 bucks for the new one. The old one was so bad, I paid their $50.

Now to find the filter cheap and stock up. From now on they get changed every six months.

Ron in SoCal

Old 10-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Cabin Filter Changed - Ugh!

Originally Posted by rrunyan
Now to find the filter cheap and stock up. From now on they get changed every six months.

I get my parts from these guys. This is a link to their cabin filter.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks much for the link. I have ordered a three year supply of filters (along with some other goodies I needed).

Ron in SoCal

Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

can you talk about the install? i'm thinking of removing and cleaning it periodically.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

What would you like to know? How to remove it?

If so, the process is pretty simple.

You have to drop the glove box on the passenger side. To do so, unscrew the two screws (phillips + hex head combo) you can see these if you look under the bottom edge of the glove box. The screws are located on each end the glove box. You may also want to remove the kick panel - just grab it and gently pull it outwards (toward the passenger seat).
When you remove the glove box screws, the glove box will drop. Just hold it well when removing the screws to prevent it from falling on your head.

With the glove box removed you should be able to see a rectangular receptacle. Just grab the tab and pull it out. The whole filter assembly sould come out with the filter crattled in it. Cleaning it is not usually recommended as it does not help as much. By the time it is ready to be replaced the filter is clogged with very small particles (polen, mites, bacterial organisms, pollution particulates and other microscopic particles) that are not easily and safely disposed of. Remember the filter's role is to ensure safe and healthy breathing air in the passenger cabin so it is important to dispose of the old one instead of re-using it.
We then take the new filter and place it on the filter assembly, insert it back into the blower assembly. Mount the glove box on. Gently tighten the two screws and snap the kick panel back in.

The whole operation may take about 15 minutes maximum. Some folks will probably do it in much less time.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-30-2006, 08:16 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

thanks, m. that's exactly what i wanted to know.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

MSantos makes it too hard . . .

1) Open glove box
2) Empty contents of glove box
3) Bend in side of glove box until it rotates downward (emptying everything you didn't remove in Step 2)
4) Press two clips on ends of filter tray and pull tray out
5) Remove and replace filter
6) Consume beer

If you can put gas in your car, you can change the cabin filter. Two minute job, tops.

Ron in SoCal

Old 10-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Sorry if it looks hard to you. I wish I could take credit for my description since it pretty much parallels the actual cabin filter service checklist used by my dealer.

I would be carefull when performing your step 3 though. I agree, make sure the beer comes way after 3, not before.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think I'll put on my painting mask and give the filter a good blast with compressed air. At $40 - $50 a shot, I'm wondering how much of this "required" service is just good old profit and greed. For the first 45 years of my life, I actually survived being in cars WITHOUT cabin filters!!! The microbes and pollen haven't killed me yet.

Is there such a thing as a washable HEPA-grade filter media? If so, I'd love to get some, trim it to size and then wash it every 10,000 miles or so.

I just can't see springing for $50 every 8 to 10 months. Heck, I leave the windows open a crack during hot weather (vs. A/C usage) so I'm not really getting much filtration anyway!

Old 10-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Okay... I was curious, so I followed the (easy) instructions on removing the filter during my lunch break. Upon inspection, I shook out the twigs and leaves. Looks like compressed air may provide some limited results, but it won't hurt to try. I can't believe they get $40 - $50 for that stinkin' $2 piece of paper. What a MAJOR rip off. There has to be an alternative!

Quick Reply: Cabin Filter Changed - Ugh!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands