HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Buying Honda Civic Navi aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast
Question Buying Honda Civic Navi aftermarket

When I purchased my 06 HCH2 last month, I really wanted one with Navi. But, when told I would have to wait an extreme amount of time, i decided to settle on a car without Navi.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the Honda OEM Navi aftermarket?

I've done some searching and don't see it offered anywhere.

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Default Re: Buying Honda Civic Navi aftermarket

It would be super expensive. I believe the dash is different in the nav civics. You might have to buy the whole nav system (probably greater than $3k for that) and the dash as well. Your best bet is to look for an aftermarket nav unit.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast

When I was at the dealer looking at the HCH I mentioned that I did not want the NAVI, the sales rep muttered something about being able to buy the same system from Circuit City for about $500. I don't know if this is true or not...best of luck.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
It would be super expensive. I believe the dash is different in the nav civics. You might have to buy the whole nav system (probably greater than $3k for that) and the dash as well. Your best bet is to look for an aftermarket nav unit.
Tom is right. The dash is very different for HCH's with Navi. It would be do able to make the swap but probably more expensive than buying the car with Navi in the first place.

As far as buying the same system from Circuit City for $500 is highly unlikely. Most Navi systems from the factory are far superior to aftermarket systems. However, there are a few out on the market that are up to par or are even better than the factory system but will cost much more than $500. A friend of mine has a tomtom and loves it. I looked at it and it seems to be a good system. Also, Alpine and Pioneer make a great head-unit replacement navi system that can play DVD's as well. These systems are about $1500 though.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast

I was in the same boat - wanted the navi but didnt want to wait months.

It looks like the dash piece that is around the radio/navi is a seperate panel (shouldn't need a whole new dash).
There are some really cool aftermarket units that retract into the dash, but Id like to get one like Hondas.

I think the factory install came with a different steering wheel as well - it has a mic for voice activation.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by FAQOPEC
I was in the same boat - wanted the navi but didnt want to wait months.

It looks like the dash piece that is around the radio/navi is a seperate panel (shouldn't need a whole new dash).
There are some really cool aftermarket units that retract into the dash, but Id like to get one like Hondas.

I think the factory install came with a different steering wheel as well - it has a mic for voice activation.
The steering wheel with Navi is different, it has the button for voice activation and a back button. The mic however, is located overhead on the plastic piece for the dome lights. That piece is different from non Navi models as well. The whole dash does not need to be replaced but a large portion does. The dash is in two section. The surround for the non navi radio is molded into one piece of the dash.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Does the Honda navi have the Text to speech feature? Like, it says... make "Left on Jamboree in 300 feets" or uses a generic.. "Left in 300 feets" ?

Old 03-29-2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by masgian
Does the Honda navi have the Text to speech feature? Like, it says... make "Left on Jamboree in 300 feets" or uses a generic.. "Left in 300 feets" ?
I believe it is generic, but I don't quite remember. I'll check tomorrow.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Bat

Originally Posted by masgian
It depends on the setting. On the MAX setting it will put in the street name. It sounds kind of weird because the street name is computerized text-to-speech and the rest of the speaking is recorded audio. And I find it gets annoying to have so many prompts. On the other settings, where it doesn't prompt so much, it leaves out the street names also.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by samajhna
It depends on the setting. On the MAX setting it will put in the street name. It sounds kind of weird because the street name is computerized text-to-speech and the rest of the speaking is recorded audio. And I find it gets annoying to have so many prompts. On the other settings, where it doesn't prompt so much, it leaves out the street names also.
Cool thats good to know. I have always had mine on the normal setting and I have never tried the MAX setting. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Buying Honda Civic Navi aftermarket

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands