HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Burned Up CVT Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Burned Up CVT Trans?

Anyone had trans issues?

I posted awhile ago about an odd burning smell I would get intermittently. The dealer was unable to locate it despite extensive attempts.
I changed my CVT fluid last week at 24K per the maint. minder (multiple times as the manual suggested) and realized the smell was from the CVT. The fluid was very dark, almost black and smelled similar to the burnt-up smell from earlier. The Jerky, rubber-band like effect of the CVT diminished after the fluid change and now the vehicle shifts nearly normal. I average 46-50 mpg so it's not as though I'm hard on the trans. My only question is if the CVT was somehow damaged. I'd rather not have a trans failure down the road out of warranty.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Burned Up CVT Trans?

Mike is the car still under warranty? Did you save the oil that you drained, if you did I would take the car along with the old oil and tell them there is a problem with this CTV. It should never run that hot. H

Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I actually did save the oil to show them. I've never had the temp gauge go beyond the normal range, usually staying below 1/2. The coolant level is fine as well. There were no other indications that the car was running hot.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The temp gauge only monitores the engine not the CVT trans.. For the oil to actually turn black [burn] you have got a real problem with the CVT. It is more than likely toast, parden the pun!! You don't have a engine problem! H