HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Better Mileage Using "Auto" A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Better Mileage Using "Auto" A/C

Because my wife and I commute together, using the A/C is mandatory when it's hot out. However, I'm getting better results using the Auto A/C versus straight A/C. Using the Auto, I can increase the temp to 79 and it's still very comfortable. Plus it doesn't seem to zap the pack and my average commute has gone from struggling to get 60 mpgs to easily getting 65. (Although, I still shut it off when going up inclines.)

Old 06-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Better Mileage Using "Auto" A/C

I tried a little trick this weekend: it was just that temperature where it was too warm/stuffy when stopped at a light, but fine when cruising at speed with the A/C off. So what I did was to wait for the Autostop to engage at the light, then turned on the A/C until the stoplight turned green. I got enough cooling to stay comfortable, but didn't burn any extra fuel. The road I was cruising on was such that I kept easily building up my SOC anyway, so it wasn't any problem to bleed off a little charge. I did this over the course of a half hour or so (lots of lights) with good results.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Auto climate control is the way to go in my opinion.H

Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob W.
I tried a little trick this weekend: it was just that temperature where it was too warm/stuffy when stopped at a light, but fine when cruising at speed with the A/C off. So what I did was to wait for the Autostop to engage at the light, then turned on the A/C until the stoplight turned green. I got enough cooling to stay comfortable, but didn't burn any extra fuel. The road I was cruising on was such that I kept easily building up my SOC anyway, so it wasn't any problem to bleed off a little charge. I did this over the course of a half hour or so (lots of lights) with good results.
It is true that if you engage A/C during Auto-stop you won't burn gas -- at that moment. However, you're drawing current off the battery pack, and that charge will have to be replaced, either by brake regen (ok if you can get enough) or a forced charge (decent hit on your fuel economy).

It's unfortunately not a free lunch. It is true, though, that the "auto" mode on the A/C, if set to a reasonably high temperature (I do 76 or so), will drain the pack less than manual mode set to cold.

Related: do realize that if you use the "Auto" heat setting in the winter, the A/C compressor runs to defrost the windows. If it's a dry day and you don't need defrosting, I'd suggest hitting the A/C button so the display says "A/C Off." That move saved me a few MPGs this winter, and every little bit helps in the cold!