HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Auto stop coasting

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Auto stop coasting

As most of you know, at about 7 mph and braking, autostop engages. At times, this can be quite useful, like when coasting to a red light, and especially in slow speed cruising in bad freeway traffic. With a slight downgrade, once autostop kicks in, if you loosen your grip on the brake carefully it allows vehicle speed to increase with the ICE off... just takes a real feather touch on that brake. I've actually coasted a quarter mile this way, with a top speed of 30 mph!

When attempting to milk an autostop coast for all it's worth, I've noticed that the ICE remains off regardless of vehicle speed... even at a crawl! Once you stop, however, you're dead! Even if you're on a steep downhill, once you stop and then ease off the brake ever-so-lightly, the ICE will kick back on.

Has ANYONE ever been able to stop then start again... actually RESUMING an autostop coast? Is it possible? I've nursed the brake pedal on downhills, and I've not been able to do it (yet)!

Old 11-15-2006, 01:42 AM
F**k ExxonMobil
Default Re: Auto stop coasting

sometimes, when i let off the brake w/o pressing the gas, the car will glide and then go back into AS when i reapply the brake, sometimes. is this what you're asking?

Old 11-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

As you said, it is pretty hard. I find that even with a feather-like brake pedal pressure the brakes will eventually stop the car with a rather grabby effect. Sometime I manage to reduce the effect by arriving to a very smooth stop. However, If I am not too careful in keeping enough pressure on Brake pedal the ICE will restart... even with the car not fully stopped yet.

So, resuming an Autostop is something I have not been succesful at even though I do alot of Stop&Go traffic driving.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-15-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 06hch2
sometimes, when i let off the brake w/o pressing the gas, the car will glide and then go back into AS when i reapply the brake, sometimes. is this what you're asking?
Not really... I think you're referring to going into autostop, then releasing the brake (starting the engine), then stopping again and autostop will re-engage. This will occur once. If you try it a second time, it won't work... until your vehicle speed gets back up over 9 mph (as I recall).

What I'm referring to is keeping the engine stopped and not restarting... even though you've come to a complete stop and start moving again (assuming you're going downhill).

Old 11-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

Last night at a stop light on a very slight downhill slope, car was fully stopped. Let up on the brake ever so slightly to see if the car would move backwards and it did while still in autostop. I did this to see if I could trigger the ground sensor for the light cycle.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:32 PM

Hmmmm... backwards works. Should be able to make it work going forwards, too! I'll have to try harder! Just seems logical that if I don't have to release the brake too much, it should start to roll forward (on a steep hill) without restarting the ICE.

As for rolling back on an uphill section, my "hill-hold" feature has been working very well recently. I remember having some scary incidents early on, then someone told me to apply the brake more heavily (once stopped) and the hill-hold feature would work. Seems to do the trick now.