HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Another IMA and Warranty Extension Question MA vs. FL

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Another IMA and Warranty Extension Question MA vs. FL

My 2006 HCH II with now 164k miles on the original IMA battery (never had any issues or lights, all recall/warranty/maintenance performed). About 1k miles ago the IMA and check engine light come on, I speak with local hybrid mechanic who quotes me $2500 for the repair with a refurbished battery but says that it can run for a while without the IMA system. Autozone error code is POA7F for the IMA and battery would continually re-calibrate during the 2k miles but car operated normally otherwise.

After leaving the car parked for 2 weeks over the holidays, it starts fine but check engine light is still on and car will not accelerate over 10-15mph and stays in first gear, with jerky acceleration. Got it the one mile to my local dealership at this speed and I am told that even though the car was purchased and registered for 8 years in MA (a CARB state) the FL (i.e. Federal) warranty applies since I moved and registered the car here 2 years ago. So instead of a 170k/11 year warranty I am stuck with 96k/9 year. I understand the details of the warranty language, but logically it doesn't make sense that a MA car loses its warranty when registered in another state.

Any ideas? The options as I see them on these helpful forums: (1) switch off the IMA and monitor the 12V closely for the next few months (2) continue talking with dealership and Honda of America to see if they will discount the repair on 'goodwill consideration' (3) pay a few hundred dollars to have the car shipped back to family in MA, where they register the car and then get the same IMA replacement covered under warranty.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by EastR84; 01-05-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Another IMA and Warranty Extension Question MA vs. FL

You did your homework.

I can only add:

4) invest in grid charger/discharger

The extremely poor running is of great concern. I don't see that you identified the issue. That doesn't sound like an IMA related issue.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast

Appreciate the helpful advice. Car has been with the dealer for 5 days now. Honda of America said 'no go' on any coverage under the warranty, but admitted that if I moved back to MA and registered the car there they "can't see any reason" why I could get the IMA battery replaced under warranty.

Dealership is bringing the repair to the Regional Manager for 'goodwill' consideration but have not heard back yet a final number. Does anyone know the actual price of a 2006 IMA battery and the 1.7 hours of labor from a dealer without any goodwill or discounts? Thanks!

Old 01-09-2016, 06:40 PM

Here's an online dealer:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=IMA+BATTERY

Dealer labor rate = rip-off.

Whatever you do, don't buy a new Honda or refurbished unit. Purchase a pack built with NEW cells from Bumblebee batteries. They are higher capacity, and he's been building packs for YEARS with thousands of happy customers.

http://bumblebeebatteries.com/hybrid...ybrid-battery/

Your simplest and cheapest option is to get a hybrid automotive grid charger/discharger.

http://hybridautomotive.com/collecti...ioning-package

Steve

Old 01-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Steve! On the charger/discharger, does it require any setup beyond basic connections to the pack? I can't find any instructions on their site and don't feel comfortable with the high voltage wires.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:02 PM

Full instructions here:

http://hybridautomotive.com/pages/install-c2-1

If you follow the directions, the risk is less than you plugging a lamp cord into one your house electrical sockets.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
You did your homework.

I can only add:

4) invest in grid charger/discharger

The extremely poor running is of great concern. I don't see that you identified the issue. That doesn't sound like an IMA related issue.
Astute observation on the poor running. I took off the back seat and switched off the IMA battery to see if that was the issue. Car starts fine, but pushing the pedal to the floor and RPMs only go to 2.5k. I can drive around the block only at 10-15mph still and after returning to the driveway the RPMs will go up to 3.5k with the pedal to the floor. Still jerky acceleration and no other identified problem with the engine before this started when the car sat unused for 2 weeks.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

What are your codes?

Old 01-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

So...I'm still holding off grid charging until past my 9 year warranty (with Honda now having extended this...I'm in Oregon), IMA light not coming on, but gas mileage is way down (22 at last count), and lot of recalibrations.
So do I go in and talk to local dealer's service desk, call someone at Honda...what can I do to have a chance at Honda doing the replacement?

Old 01-20-2016, 10:43 AM

Document everything over the course of a couple of tanks of gas. Note the mileage of every recalibration and time between them.

Use your A/C or defroster as it's a great way to put additional stress on the battery via the compressor.

Note the symptoms during a recalibration. Low power, etc.

Not also that by applying about 1/3-1/2 throttle and slipping the brake at very low speeds (VERY SLOW), you can force more battery use at low SoC. This can definitely help push a bad battery over the edge.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Another IMA and Warranty Extension Question MA vs. FL

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands