HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2009 Civic - All Electric?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 AM
fmp
Enthusiast
Default 2009 Civic - All Electric?

So I just got my Hybrid a month ago, I have about 1500 miles on it. I don't get very good mileage (35). It might have to do with the roof rack I have (with fairing) or that I am used to driving much more powerful cars.

In any case, I have read a lot about how the 2nd gen hybrids can go into all electric mode. I notice it when I come to a stop and the auto-stop engages but I never notice it while I am cruising. What are the specific circumstance that will engage this mode?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Civic - All Electric?

Don't try to pursue any all-electric mode. That is a marketing gimmick. Think of an all-electric mode as "robbing Peter to pay Paul," in which you will soon have to repay your battery usage with often-untimely battery regeneration.

With my '09 Civic Hybrid, I try to use NO battery assist, and consistently achieve 46+ MPG tanks.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

It's between 10-35mi under light throttle condition for the most part. So, if you're already cruising at 30mph, on flat pavement, then lift off throttle and then reapply with the SLIGHTEST pressure to the accelerator pedal, then the car *might* go into all EV mode. Of which is indicated by 1-5 IMA assist bars (I've personally seen 1-3 but I thought others have said up to 5?) whilst the tachometer pegs the needle at just above 1000RPM. The best range (for me) to try & get EV mode engaged is between 20-30.

Hope this helps..

Phil

Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM
fmp
Enthusiast

Thank, that helps. While I may not aim to go in EV mode all the time, I wanted to make sure the feature works as promised. It seems like I might have gone into EV mode without even knowing it. It's not as noticeable as auto-stop, correct?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah it's not quite as noticeable as auto-stop. I, for one, wished it would have been. That would be cool. :-) The thing is, whilst in EV mode the gasoline engine is still turning (with all its valves closed according to Honda). It's just not drawing any fuel. So it's not completely off & stopped like in auto-stop.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you want to find out whether your HCH is in EV mode you may find it easier to be sure by switching the display to metric. When the car is in EV mode the iFCD drops to 1 bar (meaning no fuel consumption) and you see 1-4 assist bars. As soon as the engine "refires" the iFCD jumps to several bars.

I tend to agree with Steve on whether EV mode is really worthwhile, unless you have a very full pack. What is more useful is learning how to glide with no assist or regen, and no fuel!!! [This is also easier to check with the metric display.] If you haven't tried this, you need to apply very light pressure on the gas pedal to the point where you just eliminate the regen bars.

To get the most out of the HCHII, you really do need to relearn how to use your right foot on the gas , and the brake, to some extent.

Cheers,

Roger

Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Like mentioned above, your ICE never stops spinning, although it isn't using any gas. Using electric power is generally not worth it because once you drop below 5 bars of battery, you enter forced regen which will hurt your economy. The only time I use it is when I have a full pack coming down the mountains and need to burn some volts to keep the charge braking going (once your pack is full, there is very little "engine braking" on long descents). That being said, using glide (described above by Dream'r) has a huge impact--try to use this as much as possible.

If getting high mileage is important, you might consider removing your rack when you're on the highway and you aren't transporting anything. It takes me about 5 minutes to put on/take off my Yakima. For city driving (less than 50mph), I leave the rack on with one bike tray and I don't notice much of an mpg impact. I keep my spare trays in the back seat so they are available if I need to pick someone up.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Easier on Metric dispay as the economy read out will hit 0 and you will see when assist goes up that that economy meter will stay on 0.
I use EV all the time on my commute, have gotten good at picking spots where it is best used, I try to Glide more though and save the battery, Practise gliding and slowly applying throttle to move the Charge bars to nothing and the Assist to nothing, you will get a good glide going with the economy pegged at 0 (in metric)

Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 AM

All very good methods! Something for you to practice fmp!
cheers.
Hal

Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 AM

If you switch to metric display be careful with your speed: 20 becomes 30, 30 becomes 50, and so on. We're up in Canada, once or twice have accidentally switched the display from (normal for us) Metric to US miles-per-hour, and it makes for "interesting" driving, till we get it sorted out

Quick Reply: 2009 Civic - All Electric?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands