Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   2007 Civic Will not charge 12v no matter what (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/2007-civic-will-not-charge-12v-no-matter-what-31015/)

S Keith 12-21-2016 10:23 AM

Re: 2007 Civic Will not charge 12v no matter what

Again, to reiterate, even the further deteriorated voltages you've posted would likely still function enough to charge the 12V once the IMA battery has gone through a short charge.

BTW... did you disconnect the 12V? Did you bring it home with you and put it on a float charger in a climate controlled environment? If not, I recommend you do so... :)

mrklean 12-21-2016 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 261437)
Again, to reiterate, even the further deteriorated voltages you've posted would likely still function enough to charge the 12V once the IMA battery has gone through a short charge.

BTW... did you disconnect the 12V? Did you bring it home with you and put it on a float charger in a climate controlled environment? If not, I recommend you do so... :)

Indeed I have. Brand new Interstate 51R is inside where it's warm fully charged as well as the original 151R insterstate that was in the car when I got it. It still tests good so I'll keep it around to see if I can use it in something or another. Maybe the ultimate lawn mower battery as our rider is cold blooded.

Charger is on it's way. I'll do a voltage update this aft and we shall see how bad this sub packs are...

From what I have been reading on the famous "software update" for the HCHII's I've come to the assumption that the software just updates the fudge factor of the packs to a much greater margin. I wish there was a way to tell if I had the new software without having to go to a dealer... Oh well. I think I've come up with attempting to charge the packs and see what I get out of them, reassemble the pack, and if I don't get 12v charge, then take it in and see if it has the new software. Then. Well. I don't know. MCM? I've checked fuses, grounds, connections. Etc.

mrklean 12-21-2016 12:38 PM

http://puu.sh/sWTzS/4f21b3932f.png

.309v average drop in ~20 hours. Whew I have a feeling this is going to be underwhelming, but I'm still having fun...

S Keith 12-21-2016 03:15 PM

Yeah. Not good. Did you order a power supply?

This guy is local to me, and I've bought two of these... they are brutal and awesome:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lipo-charger...4AAOSwOVpXVmue

mrklean 12-21-2016 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 261440)
Yeah. Not good. Did you order a power supply?

This guy is local to me, and I've bought two of these... they are brutal and awesome:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lipo-charger...4AAOSwOVpXVmue

I have two 670w server power supplies lying around. 54.4a at 12v each. Should be enough. The only issue is that they do not have there own internal fans, they rely on the servers massive amount of air flow that is pulled through them. So, I will have to run to my storage and pick up a couple of case fans for them.

Attempted to solder one up last night and had a hell of a time. Shitty $10 solder iron does not get nearly hot enough and the tip is awful. Though it naturally is a tough job to solder anything to those large brass contacts. Here is a picture of what I had to solder to. The large brass contacts for + and - I soldered 16ga wire into.

http://xodustech.com/images/bitcoinminer/psu-12.jpg

mrklean 01-04-2017 05:46 PM

Got my Turnigy today. Starting to play with it now. Worlds worst beeper... Grabbed D1/D2 pair. D1 was at 6.30v today. So a full Volt was lost over 15 days.

Reading the directions. Trying to understand what it's doing. Weee. I love new gadgets. :shade:

mrklean 01-04-2017 08:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mrklean (Post 261545)
Got my Turnigy today. Starting to play with it now. Worlds worst beeper... Grabbed D1/D2 pair. D1 was at 6.30v today. So a full Volt was lost over 15 days.

Reading the directions. Trying to understand what it's doing. Weee. I love new gadgets. :shade:

Powered up the Turnigy and started charging a battery to see how it handled and started to smell hot dust/dust burning. Soon realized that my server PSU does not have a fan built in it. Great....

Off to my computer graveyard to rip the blower fan out of a laptop. Got the first one out of a dell from the early 2000s. Fit up perfectly. They should run on 12v so wired it to the leads coming out of the PSU and fired it up. Sucess. For. About 10 seconds. Fan started to pulse and then quit working. Awesome.

Next laptop, pulled 100% apart. This time an HP from the same era. Wired up. Nothing. Zilch. Zero. Nothing. Awesome.

3rd times the charm right? Nope. Toshiba from 2008, nothing nada. :angry:

So all I have successfully completed tonight is making a mess of old dusty laptop components all over my office.

I'm starting to think that these fans might run on 5v instead of 12v.... Though the first one sure wasn't spinning overly fast before it died.

At least our new Omax Waterjet showed up today... That cheers me up.

Anyways until tomorrow. Here's a picture of the mess so far.

Attachment 4030
Attachment 4031
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/O_...=w1602-h901-no

mrklean 01-04-2017 10:33 PM

Late night update.

After a few beers, and two more laptop disassemblies, I discovered on laptop #4 that my first thoughts were wrong. Laptop blower fans run on 5v not 12v like a computer case fan... Laptop #4 dissection revealed a working fan but it had bad bearings and did not move much air. Not something I am going to trust to that much heat output. Laptop #5 gave me perfect results. A fan that was in a nice case, that with some modification is relatively slim fitting and is now mounted to the server PSU case permanently with one of the hundred or more laptop screws I had removed tonight... Does anybody need any old laptop parts?

Just test charging a stick right now to see how warm everything will get. Got my IR thermometer out and probing everything. Will finish programming the Reaktor and start logging stick info tomorrow.

S Keith 01-05-2017 05:08 AM

They will get warm. Keep airflow on them. Always.

They are also likely very imbalanced, so you may have some cells MUCH hotter than others. Best to run a 5500mAh 12S(14.4) formation charge on them first - takes about 3.5 hours.

mrklean 03-28-2017 06:51 PM

Sorry to leave this thread hanging... life and boredom hit the work bench and it went to die a horrible death in the mess of my work space.

Something sparked my curiousity again, maybe its the spring weather, and I started to dabble once again. So far I have 7 subpacks charged with my Turnigy. I've managed to remember to switch the charger over once or twice a day and made some progess now, but not without some holdups....

Long story short I was in the process of sealing up a PSU better to encourage better airflow from the small laptop fans, and bumped the PSU into the negative pole of the battery, that was still attached to the turnigy, which was still attached to the PSU, (AC feed power was off)

Yeah, not my brightest moment, I was in a hurry and not paying attention.

A flash and a snap of a small arc being created startled me and I saw a scorch mark on the case of my PSU, my turnigy gave up it's ghost.

Tore the charger apart to find the fuse that needed replacing, and surprisingly, there isn't one I can find.... Fiddlesticks. Ordered another.... Oh well....

Second is up and operational at this point and took care of the 7 going on 8 sticks. My process is ->formation -> charge/discharge cycles -> formation (ends on a discharge) -> record MaH -> let sit.

I have about a 50% sucess rate on remembering to swap programs and batteries on the charger. This is by no means a scientific display of events. I just want to put $300+ of charger to work right now....

My statistics are on my cell phone and I haven't gone to type them up yet. Though upon measuring my done subpacks, I am maintaining a very solid 15.9-16v throughout. I couldn't tell you capacities as I just snap a photo of each charge state and run.

I'll get to being more encompassing later.