HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2006 hch

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2006 hch

Hello,
New here as I just purchased a used 2006 HCH Honda certified with 91,000km. Car drives great no complaints but my milage reads 6.8l/100km - 35MPG. I am just driving it for a day so far and drive it as any normal car. I am not a speeder so will it get better milage. Oh I am in Toronto and it is winter here. OAT about -6C. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 hch

35 mpg is not to bad compared to most cars, is it not? This car will teach you how to drive! It did me? It takes some time to learn just how the IMA system works. I purchased my 2006 new and it has been bullet proof. Great car. I normally come in at 4.8 to 5.0 ltr. per 100 Kilo. Go back to some of the older posts and it will help you learn.
Good luck, and have fun driving!
Hal

Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

New here as I just purchased a used 2006 HCH Honda certified with 91,000km. Car drives great no complaints but my milage reads 6.8l/100km - 35MPG. I am just driving it for a day so far and drive it as any normal car. I am not a speeder so will it get better milage. Oh I am in Toronto and it is winter here. OAT about -6C. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have a 2007 and live in Sask., and I found the HCH is not a good winter car. Last week we had a cold snap of -35C and could not get any heat out of the car at all. In fact I think it has problems with any temps below -20C. I have to put up with no heat frosted up side windows and keep a scraper handy to clean the INSIDE of the side windows.

For mileage I get 7 to 9 l/100km in the winter. I have and use snow tires which affects economy over the factory LRR tires. (This last week week when it was -35C I got 9.8 l/100km). Summer expect 4.1 to 6 l/100km depending on speed. I find that 103 km/hr and up is where mileage goes down. Traveling at 115 km/hr I get 6 l/100km. One day last summer traveling back from Edmonton with a strong tail wind I got 3.5 l/100km or 84 mpg. So you have to wait till summer to get your best mileage.

Last edited by starman; 12-19-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:46 PM

Hi Starman
Blocking the rad. did not do the trick for you? My Daughter has a 2009 Fit and lives in Saskatoon. She blocked the front of the car with a psc. of cardboard and she was happy.I feel your heater is blocked or something to that effect. Did you go to clean mpg and talk to msantos? I think you should?
Cheers
Hal

Old 12-19-2009, 03:25 PM

In summer we typically get between 5 and 6, usually closer to 6.0. This is a mix of short local trips with occasional highway. In winter, especially once our snow tires go on, mileage suffers. I hate to admit, but we're currently showing 7.5 on this tankful ;(

So, be patient. Set up your dash so you're always seeing the realtime mileage graph in upper display left corner: it well help you see moment-to-moment what's happening, do what you can to keep it down. Very likely next summer, with some practice, you will get much better results.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is my 2nd day driving this car and I now got 6.6l/100km so it is getting better but slowly. I love this car so far and it drives so smooth. Hopefully I will get the hang of it and get better gas milage like some people in this forum. I have noticed that my battery is between 5 and 7 bars and is never fully charged. Is this the normal behavior of the battery? I bought this car used so I am not sure what is normal behavior. I got it from a Honda dealer and was told all checked out and Honda certified. Thanks again for all your comments.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hello All,

I just realized that I was driving around with my AC constantly on. I have the climate control set at Auto with a temp at 26C. I am getting 6.8l/100km city driving. i hope this explains the low milage. I did not realize that you need to select the AC off when in AUTO mode. I will now try this and hopefully see better milage. Will post further. Thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Oh one more thing...I still need to inflate my tires to 40psi. It has been so cold here in Toronto that I am reluctant to go to the gas station to do this but will as soon as it warms up. Cheers

Old 12-20-2009, 11:43 AM

Auto climate control a must.And 40Lbs. in the tires is a big help as well! Sounds like you have been reading some older threads? Keep at it! Cheers, Hal

Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Blocking the rad. did not do the trick for you?

No covering the front rad completely it did not work at all. I took a drive on the highway this morning (it was -13C) and watching the scan gauge the engine didn't warm up at all. I suspect something is wrong or is there....

I just happened to hear a radio show called Driving which is done out of Calgary. They were talking in depth about hybrids and electric cars. Both of them agreed that if you lived outside of Vancouver or Toronto and especially in the West (where I am) where its cold in the winter, hybrids, EVs will be completely useless. This is because of "no heat issue" and the auto stop doesn't work. Are they reading here? Because you know what? You are right! They went on to say the only fix is to leave them in the garage and drive something else in the winter.

Quick Reply: 2006 hch

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands