HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

07 fog lights question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default 07 fog lights question

Hi all,
I am considering purchasing a set of fog lights off of ebay. Has anyone purchased/installed a set of the OEM style fog lights? If so, how does the switch mount in the dash? Reason I ask is I believe that the fog light control from the factory is on the turn signal stalk (if anyone can verify this I would greately appreciate it).

Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 fog lights question

Yes, you are correct. I purchased the fog light kit online and had a local mechanic install it (at a much better price than the dealer). Supposedly it is a serious pain to install - like most Honda civic options.

Dennis

Old 12-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

so where did he install the button? on the dash?

dave

Old 12-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fdm225
Hi all,
I am considering purchasing a set of fog lights off of ebay. Has anyone purchased/installed a set of the OEM style fog lights? If so, how does the switch mount in the dash? Reason I ask is I believe that the fog light control from the factory is on the turn signal stalk (if anyone can verify this I would greately appreciate it).

Thanks,
Dave
on the euroversion the fog light switch is on the stalkm both the front and the rear light.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Enthusiast

so if I am understanding you correctly, you bought an actual honda kit and had installed? I believe the ones on ebay do not come with the stalk and am confused as to how they would install into my car.

Thanks!
Dave

Old 12-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

The Honda accessory Fog light kit includes everything you need, including a new turn-signal/light combo switch that includes the fog light switch.

The car is pre-wired for fog lights, all that has to be added is a front harness for the lights, and the switch harness from the relay panel to the switch in the steering column.

I would rate it as about a 4 for difficulty to install. One has to remove the front bumper cover, and cut out 2 holes in the cover for the lights, as well as take the steering column cover off to install the new switch.

The instructions are very clear, and if you are handy with a screwdriver and an X-acto knife, it will be a breeze. The Honda kit can be had for about $245 on the web.

Here is a link to the install instructions for a coupe, which will give you an idea of the complexity. The main difference is that the coupe uses a dash switch, while the sedan uses a stalk switch

Old 12-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

I can answer this with first hand experience on both kits. The eBay kit I assume your referring to the K2 kit for ~60.00. I purchased this and got 3/4 of it installed. Back to that in a sec.

I read good reviews on this kit over on www.8thcivic.com and took a chance and bought the kit. Over all I was impressed when I opened the box. The kit looked OEM and overall the parts seemed good quality. Looking closer I was a bit disappointed. The connector from the wire harness which plug into the bulbs were not good quality. The connectors themselves were a bit flimsy and if I pulled with little effort I could have separated the module and exposed the pins. First thought there was winter corrosion.

I almost repackaged it up and and resold it, but the recent warm days in New England were a gift so I took advantage of them and attempted to install the kit.

As you can tell from my handle my previous vehicle was a WRX STi and on that vehicle I ordered and installed the JDM fog light kit on that. I'm not gonna compare the two, but considering they both required removing the front bumper as well and mounting the lights I have to say the STI was MUCH easier, which also included switching out the bumper beam.

I found with Honda having to wrestle with the bumper and to use a saw to hack out the plastic was terrible. Also if you don't keep the area clean on the blanket your liable to scratch your bumper ! I then attempted to install the wire harness pin in the vehicle inside wire harness and broke the flimsy pin on the fog kit... I couldn't believe it... I knew it was all over at that point. Luckily I was able to pull the broken pinhead out of the vehicle harness.

Now I did that with the ebay kit and just today I received my mail order of the Honda OEM kit. The Honda kit is of much better quality in every piece.

My conclusion is unless your on a tight budget and are good with custom car work I recommend buying the OEM kit and have the dealer install it. The Dealer knows the labor cost in the books. I did this with my block heater and found it well worth while.

Also note if you decide to install either kit yourself... and if you live in a cold weather climate be careful working with the brittle plastic as you will have a good chance in breaking the plastic, especially the stearing colum for the Honda kit.