Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH I-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/)
-   -   Transmission position switch? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/transmission-position-switch-31348/)

schmidtc89 10-01-2017 05:38 PM

Transmission position switch?

Does the 05 HCH use a transmission switch for reverse detection to light up the reversing lights?

In my 05 auto HCH I have to slightly push the gear selector while in reverse in order for the reverse lights to come on. I can hear a relay clicking in the glove box area when it hits just right and the lights come on.

Is this the relay going out or is there a switch/sensor in the transmission?

vk56dehan 08-17-2018 05:01 PM

Re: Transmission position switch?

I just posted the same question to an 03 hch named "reverse lights not working". Hopefully one of us get a reply or link.

schmidtc89 08-17-2018 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by vk56dehan (Post 266196)
I just posted the same question to an 03 hch named "reverse lights not working". Hopefully one of us get a reply or link.

I tried adjusting the shifter linkage that goes to the transmission but that didn't seem to fix it. I am thinking there is a shift position switch on the transmission somewhere.

firehawk618 07-22-2020 07:59 AM

Old thread but reviving this.

Mine was doing the same thing. When I put it in reverse the indicator on the dash was dark and no reverse lights. If it wiggled the shifter a little I would hear clicking as well as get the indicator on the dash plus reverse lights.

I just pulled the airbox out, the bracket that supports the air box then I was able to remove the gear selector switch on top of the transmission. It's really easy.

After that there's about 6 screws holding it together. Remove them, take it apart, lightly sand the contacts, reassemble.

All works great now.