HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Savings on service with hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Savings on service with hybrids

Yesterday I brought my 2003 Civic Hybrid 5-speed to the dealer for service, including state inspection. The car is still running great, at 85,000 miles.
The service manager called me to say, "Your brake pads are worn down 4 mm, so you should think about replacing them soon."
"How thick were they to start with?"
"12 mm. The car would fail inspection at 2mm."
He was surprised to hear that those are the original pads. At this rate, they have over 10,000 miles left to go. Since my wife drives the car only 5k/year (her other car is a commuter train), that's 4 years away!
I just replaced the original tires. After much research I got Michelin Harmony. We'll see how they affect the gas mileage.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Savings on service with hybrids

Hybrids and EVs don't need brake replacements as often, because they use regenerative braking and therefore put less wear on the pads. Hybrids also don't get oil changes as often (and EVs never get them ).

Old 02-15-2009, 07:57 PM

I agree about the brake pads, but not so sure about the oil change interval being different than a regular Civic: is there some difference? It's hard to tell with the Maintenance Minder. Ours get to 15% (starts warning about oil change) roughly every 9000 kilometers (5600 miles).

Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 PM

It also depends on how you drive the car. I think my first oil change was around 8,500mi.