HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

hybrid integration

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:24 AM
'The Convert'
Question hybrid integration

Afternoon,
I have recently converted from long time diesel ownership (2.0tdi BMW 320). Going back to petrol feels great, but its the technology that amazing, simply magic.

Ok, onto the thread. my main question is regarding the low speed cruise mode of both the ICE and IMA. I have been told that in 'low speed cruise' mode <25mph that that the ICE closes its valves and the IMA takes over. Im not sure if this has ever happened. I am aware that the civic IMA operate differently to the prius, i.e civic ICE is continously active, except for AS. I get around 75+mpg on the motoway (55mph avg.) but in town I struggle to keep the car at 50-55mpg. any less accelerator and I loose speed. She has just been serviced and this has helped considerable!. Just wondering if its my driving style that needs to adapt OR should the the engine close its valves at such low speeds. I have noticed that in so called 'glide' mode at around 60mph I get 150mpg on the instant gauge.

If you have any answer for me, even if to simply humour me, please, feel free. any comments are appreciated.

Lee

Old 08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: hybrid integration

2006 and newer do this , not sure about the older models being able too close off the cylinders? Wellcome to the site, H