HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

'03 HCH - AC Dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Default '03 HCH - AC Dead

The compressor clutch never engages when I hit the AC button.

A local place jumped the compressor and it works, I have plenty of coolant pressure and the button light comes on.

But the clutch doesn't engage and I get no coolness.

And it sucks cuz it's hot...

Any ideas?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Think green.
Default Re: '03 HCH - AC Dead

Hi. I'm not sure if this link will work, and not sure if it will help or not because it's for a different model 03 Civic, but take a look in section 21 and maybe one of the suggestions could help. Page 21-30 suggests checking some fuses and other things related to the compressor.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b0bbmkdyzw2

(You might be able to find a similar link for the hybrid; I just didn't happen to come upon it in a quick search.)

If you see something there that looks helpful and you need me to doublecheck the detail relating to the 03 hybrid, let me know (for example fuse numbers & such). I do have a service manual for the 03/04 hybrid but don't want to have to type up pages & pages of stuff. There's also a page that describes how to retrieve a DTC on the climate control system. The hybrid uses different buttons to do this, and if you want I can transcribe the instructions for you.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 08-04-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Think green.

Also, check out the posts in this thread regarding a bad AC clutch relay:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...81/index4.html

Maybe that's a possible cause.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 PM

I brought it to the dealer last week and $78 later they told me it's the thermal switch internal to the compressor and to replace the compressor would be about a grand.

Majestic Honda has a reman listed for $345 plus a couple hundred to get it installed cuts it in half.

But I don't know; maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I just finished a full tank at what I'm pretty sure is a record (for me) of 727 miles. A month and a half ago I thought the car was history because I couldn't get it inspected and now I get 727 miles out of 13 gallons of gasoline.

Not bad for a car with almost 220K miles and weak IMA batteries (IMA/CEL lights on solid for 50Kish miles now).

Hands down the best car I ever owned. Easily.