Update headlight installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Update headlight installation

I have seen past posts about installing better headlights, with referrence to the instructions given, but couldn't find the referrence. Fron various sites, it is apparent that it is a difficult job. The front fascia has to be removed.. No such thing as simply un-bolting two or three bolts to drop the headlight mechanism out for the bulb exchange.

If there is an easy way to do it, I would appreciate an update. I find the brights especially wimpy. There are a lot of horny stupid deer in my area.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Update headlight installation

I just looked on All Data. Yes, the Fascia is unloosened and partially removed and the entire headlamp housing comes out to get access to the rear where the two bulbs are installed. I've not tried it, but I doubt they would have such a difficult procedure if there were an easier way.
As far as the factory procedure goes, it does not look that difficult, maybe a 4 on a 10 scale. Just a lot of work, not a lot of HARD work.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Go Redskins/Go Yankees

Actually I bought the HID kit. I might get it installed next week, but I had already installed those xenon filled bulbs since May. They are better than the stocks, but not as good as HID. You have to unscrew from the engine bay with #10 socket and the last one you have to go from the front wheels. You have to remove the screws from the sill cover to get acces to that last screw. At the beginning takes a long time, but it not really that hard to do it. Of course one of my patients did it for me.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Its easier than you think. I can swap both sides out about 40 minutes.

The key is taking off the bolts to the front grille. Then bending it out a bit then you can get behind the assembly or even take it completely out.