Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid Problems: Brake Loss, Service Traction Control,Service Stabilitrak (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/tahoe-yukon-hybrid-problems-brake-loss-service-traction-control-service-stabilitrak-21103/)

jimr5454 03-10-2014 06:40 AM

Re: Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid Problems: Brake Loss, Service Traction Control,Service Stabili

Hello, it seems you are the most informed member here so I'll ask for your opinion I've been thinking of buying a 08 Yukon hybrid with 112000 and anew dealer installed motor it will cost $18000 and it looks clean .
Is there any insight with a hybrid at these millage that I should be concerned with.i called go to ask for extended warranty and they do not offer one will these miles on it .Thank you so much for any insight your able to give me.
James

raydoc 03-10-2014 06:48 AM

Re: Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid Problems: Brake Loss, Service Traction Control,Service Stabili

Originally Posted by evois (Post 250834)
I use mobil 1 extended performance and my caddy's maintenance minder changes it every 13k-15k miles. but I usually change it when it has 30% left or about 10k miles. it is cost effective with maximum engine oil performance.

I did a test on the oil using the oil service monitor and the outcome was that the service monitor runs the oil too long. I now change it on miles and not the service monitor. Doing that way returns results with much better oil readout.

evois 03-10-2014 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by raydoc (Post 251642)

I did a test on the oil using the oil service monitor and the outcome was that the service monitor runs the oil too long. I now change it on miles and not the service monitor. Doing that way returns results with much better oil readout.

what oil do you use? run the extended performance version of synthetic as it is good up to 15k miles.

raydoc 03-10-2014 08:06 AM

Mobil 1. Have you sent it out for testing? I test the oil from several of my cars.

evois 03-10-2014 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by raydoc (Post 251645)
Mobil 1. Have you sent it out for testing? I test the oil from several of my cars.

yes. it showed more TBN to last until 15k hence I only use the extended performance. I had a turbo rally car using Mobil 1 synthetic but after 3500 miles, the oil was dark and burnt. after I changed to extended performance Mobil 1, the oil looked cleaner but since it was a turbo, I use the 3500 mile interval. the 15000 mile interval is good for normally aspirated engines.

I have a 2003 honda pilot with 2012k miles. after my extended warranty ran out at 100k miles, I have used the Mobil 1 extended performance and change it every 13k to 15k miles. I used Mobil 1 synthetic before 100k miles as well.

HusbandsHybridHasGoneBAD 04-11-2014 08:19 PM

Did anyone file a formal
Complaint with GM? My husband just had this problem with his car and The GM reps are giving him the run around claiming they never heard of this issue( what's listed in this wordpress). My husband almost crashed into a gas pump,( talk about a situation right out of the movies). Why do these reps think that the only time they need to do any real action is when someone dies? The GM reps solution is to change the brakes and rooters to see if thats what's wrong with it. If you have had a similar issue to this post please join in and file a complaint. I refuse to allow them to get away with this by having us spend thousand of dollars when there is something much worse that's going on.

evois 04-12-2014 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by HusbandsHybridHasGoneBAD (Post 252134)
Did anyone file a formal
Complaint with GM? My husband just had this problem with his car and The GM reps are giving him the run around claiming they never heard of this issue( what's listed in this wordpress). My husband almost crashed into a gas pump,( talk about a situation right out of the movies). Why do these reps think that the only time they need to do any real action is when someone dies? The GM reps solution is to change the brakes and rooters to see if thats what's wrong with it. If you have had a similar issue to this post please join in and file a complaint. I refuse to allow them to get away with this by having us spend thousand of dollars when there is something much worse that's going on.

can you please explain what happened to your hybrid in your first and last post? was it bought new? with or without warranty. brake pads and rotors are a wearable item and doesn't have any warranty. I replaced mine at 133k miles the first time(unbelievable, I know!). The brakes of the GM SUV hybrid feels like a race car brembo brakes. you have to apply pressure for it to stop and it is also 4 wheel disc brakes which makes maintenance and reliability longer.

JetMech 04-12-2014 09:13 AM

Jeremy,
I think, from what I read in husbandshybridhasgonebad's post that, like several of us owners, the brakes of the vehicle the husband was driving failed. I understand where the poster is coming from as after owning my 2008 for a couple of months, mine too almost totally failed. When they did this there was no previous indication of anything pending. This is NOT an issue of pads and rotors. This is a intermittent failure of the TRW slip control boost braking system or GM's interfaces to the TRW system. My problem began in Feb, when I stepped on the brakes after the vehicle was initially started and I would depress the brake pedal prior to shifting it into gear. This is not a brake pads getting worn issue, this is in my opinion a failure if the electric hydraulic accumulator assist for the brakes. It is not weak and worn brakes, it is the brake system working fine one moment and going to the floor the next, with all these associated warnings displayed on the DIC. I took my vehicle to the dealership and while they found nothing wrong (of course they didn't, it wasn't failing at that moment) they wanted me to install a new brake master cylinder, without any idea if it would actually fix the intermittent brake failure issue. This issue went on for almost a month for me. Often, after starting the vehicle the pedal would go to the floor and I wouldn't hear the electric accumulator pump charging up. It would fix itself after a few repeated key off and restarts. Then one day in March, out of the blue it stopped occuring and worked every day after that just fine... Until 4 days ago...

JetMech 04-12-2014 09:39 AM

This is why I now drive with my left foot on the emergency brake.

jimr5454 04-12-2014 10:32 AM

Isn't there still a master brake cylinder which would provide braking ...