summer trip to las vegas

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:51 AM
Administrator
Default summer trip to las vegas

any of you guys familiar with this scenario? driving to las vegas with family(wife and kids) for the summer. Son is a fan of "Cars the movie." plan to drive from LR via I-40. now, when would be a good time to go through Route 66? Arizona via route 66 then las vegas? flagstaff, AZ via 66? inputs?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: summer trip to las vegas

Last summer we took the kids in the Tahoe from SoCal, across route 66 to Michigan, then back across 80 (the Northern Route) through Vegas.
What is "LR"?
My recommendation is to go on 40 and carefully examine (there are lots of good books) the spots you want to visit on 66. 66 is not really something to drive on vacation, it is more of a retiree or drifter's road. There are many amazing things along the way, and we hopped off of 40 many times. Bring spray paint for the Cadillac Ranch.
If you are bringing kid(s), then you will want to fabricate a footrest for him(them). With footrests installed, there were zero complaints from the kids on both roadtrips we have taken them on. The idea here is to have their leg bottoms elevated slightly off of the seat cushion while seated. No numb legs.
Also, you will want more than the movie Cars, for your own sanity. It is a perfect time to introduce all kinds of movies/documentaries you want them to see, as they are a captive audience. I don't know how old your kid(s) are, but my oldest was addicted to dinosaur documentaries (walking with dinosaurs, chased by dinosaurs, etc.) when he was 2.
For hotels, we used Priceline on our Palm Pre a couple hours before arriving at our stop. This gave us huge flexibility to go further, or go a different way or stop early without having any schedule or commitments. And, it was really, really cheap. We stayed in Albuquerque at the Hyatt for $65 with about 1 hour notice.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Oh, avoid stopping in AZ. Fuel up at the boarder and make sure you have food/water to make it through without stopping. Defecating on the side of the road is good, just like they defecated on our Constitution.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Administrator

I usually travel at night so the kids can sleep and wake up fresh. a full-icebox of drinks also help. the third row is up for more room kid space. we brought the pilot then. this time will be the escalade hybrid's turn without the cargo box. three days in bellagio for some shows and sightseeing and drive back. the route 66 is for photo-op and some

Attached Thumbnails summer trip to las vegas-pilot-w-teepee.jpg  
Old 05-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator

we took the northern route two winters ago. LR(little rock). through sac then back thru LV then LR.

Attached Thumbnails summer trip to las vegas-canon-2009-741.jpg