Replacement Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Replacement Stereo

Although I have GPS/Bose stereo, I am interested in putting in a different head unit, one with a few more capabilities. Has anyone here replaced their head unit, including adding the steering wheel control interface and a GM controller for the OnStar and door chimes? I am very interested in this, and want to do it, but am afraid to do it because of the Hybrid system, and the fact the factory stereo interfaces with it showing what it's doing.

I am curious if changing it will have negative problems, or if it will be ok to change.

I currently have a lockpick, ipod lockpick, and a bluetooth module going to the lockpick, but will be selling that stuff and moving to a full headunit.

Just wanted to get a feel...

Old 09-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacement Stereo

I haven't read too many stereo related posts on this board. You may find more resources for that type of inquiry at www.tahoeyukonforum.com. They have a specific section for electronics and have guys that do some pretty insane things to their rigs.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would not sweat hurting the hybrid system. I'm positive that the display is just that, a display, not an interactive device with the hybrid controller.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I spent 45 minutes with Rich of Rich's Car Tunes in Watertown MA this week. It turns out that the double-DIN slot for the radio is about 1/2" too short (there is a beam behind the radio) to accept just about everything out there. I was looking at a Kenwood head unit and he would have had to mount the radio so it stuck out about 1/4".

There is also no guarantee that the steering wheel controls will work even with the appropriate interface box. Also you would need another XM interface because the one on the stock radio is proprietary. He assembled about $750 in interfaces and mountings THEN you can add the interfaces to get the flat sound levels out and then you can add new amps, crossovers and speakers.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default wouldn't be worth it..

seems to me that you would lose your hybrid interface, and all of your steering wheel interface controls.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrailing
am afraid to do it because of the Hybrid system, and the fact the factory stereo interfaces with it showing what it's doing.

I am curious if changing it will have negative problems, or if it will be ok to change.

I currently have a lockpick, ipod lockpick, and a bluetooth module going to the lockpick, but will be selling that stuff and moving to a full headunit.

Just wanted to get a feel...
I keep thinking that one of these days, the automakers will just put in a flat screen on all the cars and stop putting in an all in one device. I guess it is too much to expect and would be a loss of revenue since they get so much for factory NAV units. But I would hate to lose the steering wheel controls. The hybrid screen on the GM 2-Modes is really just a novelty and gives very little useful information.

My Prius has two hybrid displays that display on the screen that can be very useful. But the main screen for it is pretty worthless too. I suppose if you were just getting used to the vehicle as we are, you can look at the screen to see what powers what and when, but after 50,000 miles are you going to be watching that screen?

I would just like to be able to select a NAV unit with real world application that works whenever I need it and update it when necessary for a reasonable amount of money. They have us over a barrel. I think the best approach would be to order the vehicle without the NAV and just pull the head unit and add a functional unit, camera, NAV, stereo, etc...I just hate the add-on look and I like my factory display, just don't like the lockouts.

So all of that said, I was going to get a lockpick and haven't got around to it. If you are selling it, let me know what you want for it and if you have all the original install info and is it a GEN-5 or the GM-322 (or the older GM-320). I might be interested.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:13 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default dont forget...

that there is a service directive that gives dealers the ability to void the warranty if you install aftermarket electronic devices such as the locpic. I don't think they could void the entire warranty on the car but they could selectively void any type of electrical problem and blame it on the locpic

Old 12-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I completely understand the Navigation need. However I just wonder how GM would handle a warranty issue when you are away from your home base dealership. I have just been using OnStar to initiate the changes.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast

Just to give a bit of an update. I have removed the lockpick devices and replaced the stereo. The new unit was just about 1/4 too deep, but I made it work. I used some of the PAC devices to interface with the steering wheel controls, and bought a new XM radio unit. Everything works great, front and back displays, steering wheel controls, etc. Everything is plug and play, so if they do start complaining about something I can easily restore it to the factory stereo without any problems.

The sound system sounds a ton better, and all of my complaints about the interface are now gone.

I couldn't be happier.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Can you give us more details? Manufacturer, model numbers, etc? I'm pretty happy with my Bluefusion unit, but the Nav system is outdated now (technology moves fast nowdays). I'd love to see what you've done!

Quick Reply: Replacement Stereo

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands