New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Owner

Hi all, just wanted to let you know I will be a first-time hybrid owner. On Sunday I will join the ranks when I pick up my new 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid in Olympia, WA.

I carefully debated buying with the knowledge this is the last production year, but decided to pull the trigger before there were no longer any Hybrid models in inventory. I got one of the remaining few on the west coast.

In analyzing my annual budget, fuel costs are my single biggest personal expense, by far. I drive more than 27,000 miles per year (half in city conditions), and on weekends pulling a bass boat. The Hybrid should more than pay for itself in fuel savings in short order. Having been a long time standard Yukon Denali owner, this will give me something new to experience.

I was unable to get the colors I wanted, but will not be unhappy with what I did purchase. Mine will be the White Diamond TriCoat, with Ebony interior, Sun/Entertainment/Nav package, etc.

So I will thank you all now for sharing your experience and knowledge with me!

ciao,
Marc

Old 06-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Owner

At current fuel prices you will break even on the up-option hybrid package in about 65,000 miles or less. If your older Denali was All Wheel Drive and you use 2-Hi if so equipped on the hybrid, you should see remarkable differences in fuel economy right away.

Next big difference is towing on grades. The hybrid will in many cases towing up hill stay in a Mode. In a Mode it can use the ratios of the 2 drive motor speeds to set the engine rpm at a high enough level for better overall up-hill performance.

Give it about 1000 miles before any hard towing.

Enjoy

Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I pick up the car in the morning. To date I have not even seen a Denali Hybrid in Washington, which surprises me. This will be the first time I ever bought a car without seeing it, or test driving one.

ciao,
Marc

Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 AM
Enthusiast

I just joined the first time hybrid line as well. We also purchased the tri-coat denali hybrid with the tan interior. We liked the ebony, but the delership only had the tan. We were fortunate to test drive before we bought. Definitely different than a non-hybrid.
We have owned Ford Expeditions since '99 so this is our first GMC vehicle. I guess the first thing you will notice is a little throttle lag, not bad, but different than a non-hybrid. You get used to it...my wife likes to see how long it takes in electric mode before the motor kicks in. She also likes to keep the needle in the economy mode, but when I drive it all of that goes out the window!
The next thing you will experience is the steering. Being electric powered it is very sensitive on the highway. My wife explains it that she feels she always has to have her hands on the wheel. Any little adjustment the car will want to head in that direction immediately. There is no slop in the steering since it is electric powered. I do notice it when I drive it, but doesn't irritate me as much. I will tell you that in town it turns like a dream. Very easy to negotiate the vehicle.
The last big thing will be the braking. The brakes take more effort than a non-hybrid. Must be due to the regenerative system. You will adapt and to me seems to have "broken in" a little and does not seem as hard now after a few thousand miles.
The ride is awesome and very smooth. The car is supper quiet and it is fun to be at stop signs with people looking at you wondering if it works! But when you do get on it the 6.0 comes alive and it does have a sweet exhaust note!
There are many awesome things about this vehicle that I am sure you will love and I could go on, but those are the biggest differences I have felt so far.
Good luck and enjoy your new purchase...Let me know if you have a similar experience!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Marc!

I am excited to hear about your new vehicle purchase! Please let us know if you have any questions. We are here to assist!

Jessica
GM Customer Care

Originally Posted by Marc Marc
Hi all, just wanted to let you know I will be a first-time hybrid owner. On Sunday I will join the ranks when I pick up my new 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid in Olympia, WA.

I carefully debated buying with the knowledge this is the last production year, but decided to pull the trigger before there were no longer any Hybrid models in inventory. I got one of the remaining few on the west coast.

In analyzing my annual budget, fuel costs are my single biggest personal expense, by far. I drive more than 27,000 miles per year (half in city conditions), and on weekends pulling a bass boat. The Hybrid should more than pay for itself in fuel savings in short order. Having been a long time standard Yukon Denali owner, this will give me something new to experience.

I was unable to get the colors I wanted, but will not be unhappy with what I did purchase. Mine will be the White Diamond TriCoat, with Ebony interior, Sun/Entertainment/Nav package, etc.

So I will thank you all now for sharing your experience and knowledge with me!

ciao,
Marc

Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

Name:  IMG_20130623_175118_103_zps8f23ebb3.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  193.9 KB

Thanks Jessica, I like that you monitor the internet to help owners like myself!

After driving more than 200 miles since picking up my new Hybrid Sunday, I am very pleased to see 20 mpg on the DIC (combined city and highway mileage).

The differences in steering, braking, acceleration, etc. are as mentioned, but not a bad thing; just different.

The only thing I will miss is the extra room and storage I had in the non-hybrid Yukon Denali I replaced. I have a couple of extra boxes of stuff that came out the old one with no room for them in the Hybrid. Probably a good way to remind myself that I didn't really need to be carrying this stuff anyway.

I think I will miss the cargo net from my old Denali the most, and miss the Captain Chairs in the middle. Having the middle row bench seat will be harder using my dog crate, but I'm sure I just need to adapt.

Overall I love the new Hybrid, and the fuel savings will be much appreciated in my case.

ciao,
Marc