Inverter/Converter capacity

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Inverter/Converter capacity

Does anyone know the capacity of the High Voltage to 12V inverter on the 2 Mode Hybrid models?

My goal is to attempt to draw 150 Amps at 14v for 3-4 hours at a time.

I seem to be able to easily run my 60 amp DC to DC charger between my under-hood 12v and my 4*85ah Gel Full River battery bank for the 12v Sinewave inverter.

I use my truck like a 3000 watt generator around the ranch.

​​​​I can run my heaters and pumps for about hour before my batteries are at 50%. This is as far as I allow them to draw down.

When I'm drawing 2000 or so watts from the inverter, the truck will run about 70 seconds for each 8-9 minutes of off time while it's providing about 750watt per hour of power towards my battery pack through the DC - DC charger.

I was told by a mechanic that the high to low voltage converter/inverter has a 200 Amp capacity, he could not provide a source though.

If it is 200amps , I only need to add more dc-dc charging capacity to allow for a 150amp (2000 Watts) draw, instead of changing to a pricey Lithium battery bank.

Thanks,

(Running a separate generator is noisy, a lot of extra work and overall a pain in the rump.)

​​​​​​

Old 08-18-2024, 01:10 PM
???
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Inverter/Converter capacity

I believe I read 175amp for the 12v somewhere and only like 40amps at the 42v power steering. the truck can put a lot of amps on the 12v side when running max ac on a hot day. so don't ask to much from it. the inverters are pretty expensive and discontinued

if you pop the hood the engine will not go into auto stop, which might be useful for what you're doing.

Old 08-19-2024, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ???
I believe I read 175amp for the 12v somewhere and only like 40amps at the 42v power steering. the truck can put a lot of amps on the 12v side when running max ac on a hot day. so don't ask to much from it. the inverters are pretty expensive and discontinued

if you pop the hood the engine will not go into auto stop, which might be useful for what you're doing.
I've been tempted to add a shunt so I can see the actual AC draw. However, most of my power use is in the winter.

I removed the centre seat and modified a console so that my electronics are hidden, but also, if needed, I can use my "floor" AC to force cold air through the tunnel if the inverter is getting warm.

175Amps is what I've read as well.

Ps, I can buy the inverters as mounted for $300 from the wrecker. Should I buy one and store it?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Old 08-19-2024, 09:06 AM
???

anything you can do to keep they hybrid batteries cool goes a long way.

the under hood truck inverter is water cooled but I don't know of anyone doing what you're doing. so don't know if it's worth 300$ or not, but I seems like a good idea. I'm personally still looking for a used transmission for cheap just to have as a back up. because they don't really rebuild those either and I like the truck.

there's a company that makes a way to pull power off the prius pack directly and avoid using the 12v stuff. I onces asked if they could for the same for our trucks, they said probably but would need more info. I didn't follow up. let me look for their name.

Old 08-19-2024, 09:22 AM
???

https://www.plugoutpower.com/

that's who I had asked and they seemed interested. was more of a back up house generator for when the power goes out type of thing for me than what yours doing.

Old 08-19-2024, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you, I will check them out.
I spoke to a transmission shop back when my OEM battery was getting weak and I mistook the
truck revving under heavy load as a mistaken sign of transmission slippage.
They told me that these transmissions do not wear out as the actual gears are rarely used.

I have about 40,000 Km on my self rebuilt (Dr Prius) lithium pack and it is still going strong.

Old 08-19-2024, 12:16 PM
???

Originally Posted by Mishipeshu
Thank you, I will check them out.
I spoke to a transmission shop back when my OEM battery was getting weak and I mistook the
truck revving under heavy load as a mistaken sign of transmission slippage.
They told me that these transmissions do not wear out as the actual gears are rarely used.

I have about 40,000 Km on my self rebuilt (Dr Prius) lithium pack and it is still going strong.

that's good to hear.. yeah they don't seem to go out like the normal 6L80 do, those eat themselves every 100k miles or so. I do believe the weak hybrid pack is the cause of the few tranny failures I've seen. but I'd still like a spare if one shows up for cheap enough.

I have the Nexcell cells as well. my 2 cents is use the version 1 boards for these trucks. v2 and v2.5 might work for the prius but they don't work great for these trucks. the voltage drifts low. I have almost 2 years and over 20k miles on mine but I can see signs they have lost some capacity. but I've also seen Temps in the 140deg range after parked in the sun all day and then driving the cell temp will climb as the fan pulls the 160deg inside air thru the battery pack before ac can cool things back down. so I'm sure that's not good for them.

if you have the torque app. keep an eye on the Temps and min max cell voltages while using it. my attempt to get cool air from the ac into the hybrid pack haven't had much effect. there just not enough room but if you have your back seat modified, maybe you can duct some rear ac into intake vent.

Old 08-20-2024, 06:20 AM
Enthusiast

I was able to confirm through GM documentation the the AC compressor runs directly from the High Voltage system. I can only assume that the Radiator and heater fans run on 12V.

Opening my hood no longer starts the engine, I assume a switch of fuse needs to be replaced at some point.

Originally Posted by ???

Old 08-20-2024, 07:10 AM
???

I just looked up the hood diagram the other day.. I'll find it and post it up. it's a 2 way switch, ground input. when closed it sends ground to one terminal and when open it sends it to another terminal, I believe of the bcm. the description said so that it can see faults in the switch if doesn't see the ground on one of the other.

it is handy to use to charge the battery. there's a tsb somewhere that shows how to adjust the state of charge. you idle the engine with the hood popped till you see 70% and then turn off, remove the battery terminal for 2 minutes. hook it back up and start it, it will reset from 70% to 60%. it's helpful has the reverse can happen if you are under 60% and remove a battery cable to work on something and then it resets to 60%.

Old Today, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ???
I just looked up the hood diagram the other day.. I'll find it and post it up. it's a 2 way switch, ground input. when closed it sends ground to one terminal and when open it sends it to another terminal, I believe of the bcm. the description said so that it can see faults in the switch if doesn't see the ground on one of the other.

it is handy to use to charge the battery. there's a tsb somewhere that shows how to adjust the state of charge. you idle the engine with the hood popped till you see 70% and then turn off, remove the battery terminal for 2 minutes. hook it back up and start it, it will reset from 70% to 60%. it's helpful has the reverse can happen if you are under 60% and remove a battery cable to work on something and then it resets to 60%.
I've never been able to get the HV battery over 67%, I will try that trick and see if it works.