Hunting & benifits

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Hunting & benifits

Our 2008 Tahoe is primarily my wife's vehicle. However I am allowed to use it occasionally.

I am a hunter and as we all know the Tahoe/Yukon is a great hunting vehicle. However the Hybrid is even better. Here's why:

I am now a disabled hunter and have a permit to "use the vehicle as a blind". Ie. under state law I can hunt from the vehicle while it is stopped, pulled off the road or trail as far as possible and the ignition is OFF. I can sit in, on or near the vehicle or put my chair on the game carrier or sit on the tailgate. In addition I am allowed vehicle access to certain State Game Land Trails, US Forest Service Roads and designated State and National Forest Service Roads that other hunters are not. BTW I am NOT allowed to "locate game using a motor vehicle" Ie. I can NOT drive along, see game, shut the vehicle off and immediately shoot the game. That is illegal.

The 4WD Hybrid allows me to drive into these areas slowly and silently. Being black it is almost a stealth hunting vehicle. Under 30 MPH in elecric mode I can quitely traverse a trail, and effectively scout areas with hardly any impact.

The 4wd capability with the ability to "tune" the suspension for "Off-Road" on the Nav page is an added benefit. Also on cold days I can roll the windows down and use the heater/defroster without engine noise; therefore I do not have to build a fire. Under these conditions if I saw game I would have to turn the ignition to the OFF position before shooting.

While small game hunting on warm sunny days with my bird dogs, I can stop for lunch, and leave the dogs in the Hybrid with the electric AC running and not have to worry and it is legal to do so according to the ASPCA. Note: rear cargo area is "screened off", the dogs are located there, AC ON and set at 65*, Tranny in PARK, ignition ON, engine AUTO STOP, E Brake ON, and doors locked with vehicle in view. I MAKE SURE I have fob.

I have been questioned twice by 2 old ladies about the dogs in the car. One understood when I told her it was a Hybrid, I had to open the door and show the other how cool and comfortable the dogs were. I was once questioned by a cop but he understood as soon as I explained to him it was a Hybrid and the AC was ON and it was electric.

I NEVER do this if the vehicle is going to be out of my sight

I do install a shortened front air dam for winter and hunting use to avoid clearance issues.

If I want to tow a trailer for my ATV the capability is there.

The HYbrid Silverado and Sierra should also be great hunting vehicles for the same benefits as above but with bigger payloads.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hunting & benifits

DJ,
Thanks for posting,
What are the off road suspension adjustment on Nav page you mention pls?
I don't have my vehicle yet, it shoudl be here end of next month.

Thanks for sharing , very interesting posts

Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

1. The Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid (and I assume the Silverado/Sierra Hybrids may also have this) has an adjustable suspension.
- Normal (softer) for highway driving
- Off Road (stiffer) for 4WD operation on unimproved surfaces
NOTE: I am not sure if the 2WD models have this feature.
The "Off Road" Suspension ON/OFF switch (touch screen) is located by selecting the NAV Page from the MENU screen. It is located at the bottom of the 1st page. IT is NOT accessed from the regular NAV map page.

2. You can select the Traction Control/Stabilitrac ON or OFF, which you would want to do while 4 wheeling, say in mud off-road. The selector button is located on the bottom of center console. There is an indicator light on the instrument gauge panel which lights when ever the TC system is OFF.

3. The electronic 4WD selector is located to the left of the steering column, inboard of the light switch. With 2WD, AUTO, 4HI, 4LO selections available

4. When in 4WD, power to the front wheels is indicated on the MENU Hybrid Mode screen.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:19 AM

Thanks DJ,
When in 4WD, is the vehicle using ICE only, or it uses both hybrid and ICE depending on the speed and throtel as in regular driving?

Old 08-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

I think the hybrid is a great truck, but find mine inferior for hunting, only because the front air dam limits ground clearance to almost nothing. I hit a curb with my air dam, and pushed the front quarterpanel out of true in the process.

Anyone know if that airdam is essential? And where do you get a shorter one? It sure looks cool, but limits utility for me.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

The longer front airdam is an essential part of the improved aero package on the HYbrid and aids fuel efficiency at highway speeds. If you shorten it you will loose MPG slightly.

However it is a detriment when using the vehicle off-road, say for hunting or in severe winter conditions in slush or rutted streets during the winter or with sudden +4" snow squalls before a plow comes thru. To that end I use a shortened airdam for winter months and hunting from October thru March.

There are as yet NO aftermarket shorter airdams available and with the redisigned unique shape of the Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid front fascia you cannot use a shorter airdam from a regular (non-Hybrid) Tahoe.

The best and easiest solution is to purchase a second OEM Hybrid airdam from Chevy and cut it down. I removed the bottom 2/3's and install it during the winter/hunting season. @ $60 from your local Chevy dealer.

I do not recommend just removing the OEM airdam as snow, ice, road debri and offroading can dent or harm the front fascia edge. It is better to install the shorter, cut air dam to protect the lower fascia edge.

I reinstall the longer OEM Hybrid airdam for summer highspeed driving from April to September. It is easy to switch airdams as they just unbolt, takes about 5-10 minutes to remove and reinstall.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:53 PM

Sfarris,
Check out DJworm post in another thread regarding how he managed to cut the air dam for more clearance

Old 11-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

DJ Worm:

I am curious in the specifics of cutting down the airdam on the Tahoe. I have been trying to figure out exactly where to cut, but would love to hear from someone else who has done it already. I am going hunting with it for the first time this weekend, and simply was going to take it off, but this sounds like a better solution. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:25 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default well....

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”

Hemingway