to early GM hybrid owners, any problem with battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Default to early GM hybrid owners, any problem with battery?

just wondering if those who got their hybrids in its inception have problems with the hybrid battery? planning on purchasing a MB ML450 hybrid in addition to my current escalade hybrid but it is only available as a for lease vehicle only. what gives? after searching the net, MB is not sure whether their "experiment" is going to take off hence the decision to keep it only as a "for lease" vehicle. they are not sure about the life as well as the availability of the battery in these vehicles are the batteries of the hybrid really in short supply? thank you for the 8 year/100k mile warranty

Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: to early GM hybrid owners, any problem with battery?

Your Cadillac has a Panasonic battery. Panasonic also supplies the Prius. The GM and Toyota batteries share more than just the Ni Mh chemistry. I would expect similar behavior in the GM battery as Toyota has had.

The MB on the other hand uses a different supplier. It is liquid cooled Ni Mh but that may be problematic in the long run.

Lease the MB. It's the better solution.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Administrator

or maybe buy another escalade hybrid. I thought the escalade has a liquid cooled battery as well? remember there is a filler nozzle near the left side of the engine bay(Hybrid logo) to top up with coolant.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Air cooled. That's why you don't let coats, blankets, and stuffed animals pile up on the floor right in front of the horizontal air inlet slots under the middle row seat.

And if you have an extremely hairy dog (like me) you may need to check the metal mesh air inlet under the carpet and plastic battery cover for (driver's side) for obstruction.

The under hood coolant is for the HV power electronics box cooling. That big box under the black plastic cover on passenger side just in front of the base of the windshield.

I'm partial to the Escalades. Power running boards, power lift gate, cooled seats, roof rack, and 20 mpg in a 4X4.