60k mile service

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Default 60k mile service

what are the necessary things to be done for 60k mile maintenance? I checked the OM/service manual and the tranny service, transaxle and front and rear differential doesn't need to be serviced until 100k miles. true?

my local caddy dealer wants tranny flush(safe?) and transaxle and differential fluid replaced. any inputs?

tranny flush? really? not just drain and fill? thanks!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Re: 60k mile service

I change all the fluids in all my cars every 2 years regardless of mileage. I change my oil every 3k. all of those 100,000 fluids are usually hydroscopic (absorb water) and break down over time. I just did the yukon and it only has about 35K on it. the dealer thought I was crazy but I have always done this and all my cars have never let me down.
I took my audi RS4 in and had the trans serviced and I almost had to beg the dealer to do it as they are so confident in their fluids....I don't share their confidence!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Administrator

how about tranny flushing by machine? is that accepted technology?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 PM
FLY NAVY!

its probably considered normal right now but I dont know about the hybrid trans as it is more complex. in a regular car if you dont power flush it you only change the fluid in the trans body, the torque convertor doesnt get drained and the trans cooler and lines dont get drained so you really only get a complete fluid change with a pressure flush.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If their "flushing machine" connects to the cooler lines hold up. The 2 Mode has 5/8" diameter cooler lines to a large air-to-oil radiator not the "standard" 5/16" or maybe 3/8" lines to a engine radiator end tank.

It has a drain plug and there are 2 filters in there. One for the main pump and one for the 12V auxillary pump. You will need at least 10 to 12 quarts of expensive fluid.

Sometimes the "O" ring on the suction ports going up from filters is not installed properly. This causes some very odd behaivior on 2 Modes. So whatever is done, attention to detail is important.

There is NO torque converter to hold anything worth flushing. So oil change... maybe. Flushing will only effect your wallet.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:03 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default thanks for the info!

I was not sure about the whole torque convertor on this trans so that is real good info for me!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Administrator

what do you guys mean? you all have less than 60k miles? I have been driving this hybrid to both ends of the country with no issues at all and just glad to have it back for some nav software upgrade. the gas mileage of the regular escalade is killing me. thanks btw, hillbilly hybrid! It is a good thing I passed on the flush and will just do it on my next oil change.