what aftermarket nav system for '06 FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default what aftermarket nav system for '06 FEH?

I know a few of you have installed an aftermarket nav system on your FEH. Looked for some threads, but didn't really get an idea of what specific nav system works.

What I am hoping for is some help finding a nav system that will fit into the current spot of the factory nav system on an '06 FEH.

thanks.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: what aftermarket nav system for '06 FEH?

Nothing will "fit" without a little trimming. A motorized single din fold out unit will fit with a trim ring to fill in the difference. Any double din NAV radio will fit if you take a tiny bit off the top of the dash. John Morton has an Eclipse 5510 installed that he swears by. I believe Eclipse is what Toyota uses in its factory vehicles for NAV. I'm sort-of in the market to do the same in order to have backseat video for the young one. I'll let John comment on the Eclipse and also on the Pioneer and Kenwood he considered.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K
I believe Eclipse is what Toyota uses in its factory vehicles for NAV. I'm sort-of in the market to do the same in order to have backseat video for the young one. I'll let John comment on the Eclipse and also on the Pioneer and Kenwood he considered.
The parent company of Eclipse is Fijitsu 10 & they are owned by Toyota/Lexus. I have seen a factory Lexus unit that was virtually identical to mine as a $4000 option in a Lexus.

Pioneer NAV units suck for some reason, I have used them & they are totally incapable of finding an intelligent route from point A to B (there are $200 portable NAV units that work FAR better than the Pioneer's)

The Kenwood's are really nice & use the Garmin NAV module which is a GOOD thing (I have three Garmin portables & they work very well). I think it is a toss up between the Eclipse & the Kenwood units, each has advantages over the other & it really depends on which features are critical to you.

~John

Old 07-06-2007, 07:55 PM

By the way, Tim is completely correct about the double DIN installs.

You have to remove a lip of material across the top of the factory opening that prevents a full DBL DIN from fitting in as is. It is simple to do (I snipped it out in 60 seconds with a pair of Snap-On side cutters, but a Dremel would work as well). This mod does not show at all & does not prevent you reinstalling the factory stereo at some point either (the factory stereo would also cover the trimmed part)

~John

Old 07-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

I know this is a long shot in asking. But it can't hurt, right?
Is there a unit out there besides the stock NAV system that will also show the HEV system? I'm not too crazy about the stock system but would like to keep the MPG & HEV features.

Just wondering!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by cathyth3
Is there a unit out there besides the stock NAV system that will also show the HEV system?

No, there isn't.

~John

Old 09-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10
You have to remove a lip of material across the top of the factory opening that prevents a full DBL DIN from fitting in as is. It is simple to do (I snipped it out in 60 seconds with a pair of Snap-On side cutters, but a Dremel would work as well). This mod does not show at all & does not prevent you reinstalling the factory stereo at some point either (the factory stereo would also cover the trimmed part)~John
Does anyone have a more detailed description or an image of this "lip" part that needs to be cut out for fitting a double-din system? It would really help me visualize and determine if I could do this install myself, especially when the stores want to charge me $300 for it, which I don't have the budget for.

Last edited by greenhybrider; 09-16-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: brevity
Old 09-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Name:  awdengagedus29torque.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  118.1 KB

The Kenwood double-din displays fit and work well.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

wow the Kenwood does look good, is it a motorized version? I am thinking about a Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT which is motorized so I was told that it needs a bit of extra space.

Still hoping jmorton10 can explain the "lip" part that needs to be cut.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:23 PM

It is unlikely John Morton will reply as he no longer frequents this site-once in the past 18 months. My Kenwood 7100 DNX tilts/angles in various angles but does not rise vertically. You do not want a vertically rising screen if you want to minimize potential issues. The silver plastic around the double din may need to be slightly trimmed with a Dremel tool. It is simple to do this. Wiring of this system with various components is another story.

Quick Reply: what aftermarket nav system for '06 FEH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands