VW style flip key from Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default VW style flip key from Ebay

I just wanted to share my experience since I could not find a decent thread about these types of keys on this site for the FEH. I was a little intimidated by all the different types of keys and programming etc, etc. and I'm an engineer. My hope is that this thread clears some things up for some people.

I am the new owner of a 2008 FEH! This site has been very helpful so far, thought I would do my part and add to it.

The car I bought only came with 1 key. I also own a VW Jetta TDI and I love their keys so I was very happy when I found this key on Ebay. I was tricky finding one that said it worked for this vehicle, but I was able to find one. It only cost $40, shipped from NJ. It is very similar to my VW key. The build quality is excellent and I highly recommend picking one of these up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110758111145?item=110758111145&viewitem=&sspagenam e=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

This key is a "turn-key" (haha) key. Meaning there is no swapping of parts from your old key. You just cut the blade, program the transponder, and program the remote and you're done!

Now, since I only have 1 key, I needed to take it to a local locksmith to have them program it to the car. It cost me $90 for the cut and program. The process took about 15 minutes and the new key works flawlessly, I couldn't be happier. I might have been able to find a place cheaper, but I was being impatient. Plus, I will never have to pay to program any new keys again since I now have 2 "original" keys (let's hope I don't lose one).

I would say that if you're interested in trying one of these out, DO IT! They work perfectly on the 2008 FEH.

I have heard that there is a method floating around the internet that allows you to program a new key with only 1 original key. I wanted to try it, but I didn't feel it was worth the time and aggravation.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, sorry for the lack of pictures.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: VW style flip key from Ebay

I got around to taking a pic.

Attached Thumbnails VW style flip key from Ebay-img_20140221_154243.jpg  
Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How does it work? Does the key retract into the fob? Thinking about one for my 2007.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

The key works just like a switchblade knife: you hit the little silver button and it swings out and locks open. Press the button again and manually fold it back into the handle where it locks closed.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RonMan84
I got around to taking a pic.
The only thing missing is the button to open the back glass, which I use periodically.

EDIT: Oops, I just got a better look and it is there!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Nice -- thanks, OP. I have 3 keys programmed but 2 have the lock/unlock indicators worn off, so just might have to pick up a couple of these.

FYI, the steps to program new keys (if you have 2 keys programmed already) is in the owner's manual on page 99, available for download here:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../08hevog2e.pdf

Steps are also here to view:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_I_a...08_Ford_Escape

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
2. Turn the ignition from the 1 (LOCK) position to the 3 (RUN) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (RUN) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position and remove the first coded key from the ignition.
4. Within ten seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position, insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.
5. Turn the ignition from the 1 (LOCK) position to the 3 (RUN) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (RUN) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
6. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.
7. Within twenty seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition.
8. Turn the ignition from the 1 (LOCK) position to the 3 (RUN) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (RUN) position for at least six seconds.
9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition. If the key has been successfully programmed it will start the vehicle’s engine and will operate the remote entry system (if the new key is an Integrated Keyhead Transmitter). The theft indicator light will illuminate for three seconds and then go out to indicate successful programming. If the key was not successfully programmed, it will not start your vehicle’s engine and/or will not operate the remote entry features. The theft indicator light may flash on and off. Wait 20 seconds and you may repeat Steps 1 through 8. If failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the new key(s) programmed. To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), wait twenty seconds and then repeat this procedure from Step 1.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast

Is getting the key from ebay a good deal and later ask locksmith to cut and program?

Old 07-09-2021, 12:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I bought el cheapo keys and had them cut at walmart for free. I added them using forscan and did the clicky click procedure to add the transponders. I have 3 keys now. Walmart or a locksmith will copy your key ID when they "program" it. Walmart or ACE (will not cut your keys) want to charge $80 for their branded keys. I paid like $20 for the whole thing.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast

Walmart cost is much more than a locksmith so it's better to contact a locksmith for that job.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

We had a similar issue when we bought a used 2007 FEH that only came with one key. The local locksmith was able to "clone" the key we had so that we had a 2nd, but since this is a clone, it cannot be used to add an additional authorized key using the procedure outlined in the user manual because that requires two unique keys. No biggie though because we can just have the locksmith clone another if we need one; I'd have to go there anyway to have it cut.

Although I see someone mentioned adding a key via Forscan; maybe that's a work-around.

Last edited by zeerok; 05-20-2022 at 03:45 PM. Reason: clarification

Quick Reply: VW style flip key from Ebay

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands