TPMS-is it necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default TPMS-is it necessary?

I have a second set of winter tires and wheels coming for the FEH.I'm sure the wheels do not have the bands/sensors.Dealer wants almost 500 for all the parts to make it work.Any downside other than the light coming on?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Default Re: TPMS-is it necessary?

Originally Posted by locknut
I have a second set of winter tires and wheels coming for the FEH.I'm sure the wheels do not have the bands/sensors.Dealer wants almost 500 for all the parts to make it work.Any downside other than the light coming on?
I put my '05 FEH rims and tires (no sensors) on my '09 FEH Limited (with sensors) to see how much the lighter weight improved MPG. Just had to clear the alarm on the '09 each time I drove it. No problems after a year when I changed them back, but I thought the '07 has the valve stem sensors and the '09 has the band sensors.

Gary

Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

'07 has the band sensors.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:41 AM
Imported from Detroit

I think the switch to stem type sensor started with the '09MY.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast

The tires/wheels have been on for two weeks now and no warning light has popped up yet.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:19 PM

The tires/wheels have been on for two weeks now and no warning light has popped up yet.

Doesn't speak well for your TPMS.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:43 PM

Just mounting the tires on the car won't trip the TPMS, you have to drive the car for something like 15 minutes continuously above 30(?)mph to trigger the monitor.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by econoline
Just mounting the tires on the car won't trip the TPMS, you have to drive the car for something like 15 minutes continuously above 30(?)mph to trigger the monitor.
I think it's far less time than that but it's in the Owner's Manual.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
I think it's far less time than that but it's in the Owner's Manual.
Per the Ford "Technical Hotline": A drive time of over 20 minutes at a speed exceeding 20mph is required for the system to read data from the tires.

I've never found that information in my 2007 Owner's Manual. Do you have a page reference?

Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by econoline
Per the Ford "Technical Hotline": A drive time of over 20 minutes at a speed exceeding 20mph is required for the system to read data from the tires.

I've never found that information in my 2007 Owner's Manual. Do you have a page reference?
On the '09 FE, it's only two minutes over 20mph but I thought the '07 might be different but looking at the '07 Owner's Manual the same thing is mentioned on Page #189 and #190.

Quick Reply: TPMS-is it necessary?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands