Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Suggestions on how to find a FEH? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/suggestions-how-find-feh-15173/)

Hybrid_SUV 09-05-2007 09:27 AM

Re: Suggestions on how to find a FEH?

Ditto a combination of autotrader and forddirect.com:P

What i would do is go to autotrader, expand search to say 500mi then find the availiable FEHs. Then, jot down the dealers names and do a google search for those particular dealers and visit their websites. (Idea being they might have an online inventory kept up to date). Then wittle down and start calling. :omg:

Just my suggestions. I have not had/seen much success with just "calling your local Ford guy" and letting him/her down the work. Most just don't get it or just don't care. FEHs are difficult to find, but not impossible. You just need to be really proactive on your part. If you wait for one "exactly how you want it" to fall into your lap...it probably won't happen. They are just a rare vehicle...when compared to a normal Escape. A little bit of wiggle room is called for here.

Not trying to make anyone mad....but I've seen a rash of folks (esp lately) who are real particular (not willing to budge one bit on options or color), talk to one maybe two dealers, and then get fed up. Then they come on this board and whine and complain about how there are NO FEHs out there...Ford sucks...blah, blah, blah.

A search on autotrader.com tells you it just isn't true. A local Ford dealer here in DC has 7 FEHs on the lot right now.

Again, not trying to cause a ruckus, I'm just calling it like I see it. Good luck to all those searching.

Nate

Dan 09-05-2007 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by D-mac (Post 141787)
Since your area is loaded with Ford dealers, I'd bet at least one of them has a friendly fleet salesperson who can do the walking for you in seconds instead of hours that it takes you to poke around on the Internet. Plus whatever you find posted in inventory on the fordvehicles.com or fordcredit.com may not be too accurate anyway.
You should be able to call ahead to a local dealer (or send an email) and see if you can get in touch with a fleet salesperson instead of walking in off the street and getting fed to the sharks.
A fleet salesperson can make what you need happen much more easily and the bonus may be that you get to work with a local dealer instead of hunting all over your state.

Do they really do that for X-Plan customers. Again, my experience with Toyota wasn't bad, but they certainly weren't going to work that hard at giving me the sale when inventory was that sparse.

I'll definitely contact them...

Thanks again for all the good Ford advice guys!

WaltPA 09-05-2007 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 141795)
Do they really do that for X-Plan customers. Again, my experience with Toyota wasn't bad, but they certainly weren't going to work that hard at giving me the sale when inventory was that sparse.

They should. A sale is a sale.

And if you order under X-plan, the vehicle comes thru with your name on the window sticker. :shade:

KenG 09-05-2007 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hybrid_SUV (Post 141794)
... I have not had/seen much success with just "calling your local Ford guy" and letting him/her down the work. Most just don't get it or just don't care.

This is how you tell a good dealer from a run of the mill dealer. Last month, in the peak of the shortage, my dealer was able to trade with a dealer a hundred miles away and get my FEH in exchange for a hard to get Edge package.

mtberman 09-05-2007 10:57 AM

I agree with Hybrid_SUV that it's important to try and see this situation from the dealer's perspective. If they search/find but the other dealer won't trade with them, that's not their fault. Maybe the question should be "Can you find one that you can sell me" not simply "Can you find one".

They are of course happy to search for vehicles they can trade (e.g Fusion) and they will usually do so for any legitimate customer, X Plan or otherwise, if you make it clear that you plan to buy from them only. Model code and options codes are plugged in and matches display instantly. I've done it many times back when I worked for a Ford subsidiary.

HOWEVER, dealers may not be willing/able to search on a FEH right now since they realize other dealers probably won't trade theirs anyway. In fact, many dealerships have a general policy against doing searches without a deposit precisely because they don't want to be placed in that position of telling you it's out there "somewhere" but they can't get it. If your dealer is one of these, it might take some convincing before they'll do it.

Dan 09-05-2007 11:05 AM

Got it... Leg work and etiquette. I managed to buy the fabled Prius car back in January, so I'll see what I can apply here.

I may start a second thread on this, but is there any hopes of supply catching up with demand, or are they playing Toyota's tease game? If supply will ever catch up we may wait till November since there will be inventory tax they want off the lot. There also seem to be a glut of hybrids in the winter as gas prices drop. That's how I got the Prius.

Hybrid_SUV 09-05-2007 11:14 AM

Methinks that as soon as the weather turns colder...snow is on the ground (in some places) and the hoopla over the "new" '08s wear off....you'll have no probs finding an FEH.

In Dec/Jan/Feb dealers will be giving them away. That's why I always try to buy in winter...because no one else is buying.

P.S.--Gas prices usually drops too...so John Q Public (w/ a short attn span) forgets about high gas prices and hybrids become less popular.

Nate

Dan 09-05-2007 02:22 PM

Allright! Autotrader.com rocks! Set up alerts to find out when more arrive, and have sent out queries on 3 of the 5 available in Texas. One of them that I didn't query on was given as a loaner to one of the sales managers, and the other didn't looked to be optioned up. Looking for some bling!

No one's offered to put me on the waiting lists yet.

Mark E Smith 09-05-2007 03:07 PM

If you are willing to consider a 2007 there is a diamond fully loaded FEH at Sterling McCall Toyota with 5500 miles and $22995. will still have ALOT of warranty left and save $8K. Mechanically no different than the 08s

D-mac 09-05-2007 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by mtberman (Post 141806)
HOWEVER, dealers may not be willing/able to search on a FEH right now since they realize other dealers probably won't trade theirs anyway. In fact, many dealerships have a general policy against doing searches without a deposit precisely because they don't want to be placed in that position of telling you it's out there "somewhere" but they can't get it. If your dealer is one of these, it might take some convincing before they'll do it.

Well, I'd hazard a guess there are some dealers that want to make a sale now and there are others that don't, so a good one will do what it takes to get you what you want. I had one dealer doing a lot of FEH searches for me even though I only had talked to them on the phone. Larger dealers with inventory to trade are better at this in my experience.