Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Buttons (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/steering-wheel-buttons-14229/)

MyPart 01-14-2008 06:16 AM

Re: Steering Wheel Buttons

I want my wheel replaced by Ford for their screw up!!!
This is just the same thing as a recall. They owe us. It does have to do with safety
Who's being adamant and not making sense? YOU!

Ford doesn't owe you anything with respect to a new feature that was added by an end of year production change. Maybe it will help you to think of your 2008 as a 2007.5 model? That's probably more realistic since you could buy your version of the 2008 in Jan/Feb of 2007.

Why would this be the same as a recall? It has very little (NOTHING?) to do with the safety or improper mechanical performance of the vehicle. Sean's (FEH08) argument about the change that affected the front crash test rating has WAY more merit and chance for a recall since a safety institution has obviously seen the safety benefit. Can't say the same about the audio buttons. Your safety argument is bogus.

Maybe, but I feel Ford has taken value away from my car.
And this doesn't happen when you drive off the lot or when a new model year comes out? So far NADA doesn't agree with your assesment.

Seems to me, you want something for nothing and that isn't going to happen with your weak "safety" and "I got screwed" arguments.

bmisf 01-15-2008 06:13 PM

Well, I bought mine in January 08, and by your logic it's a "2007.5" bought when by your logic the "2008.5" (or early 2009s) would be for sale.

In any case, it would be great to be able to retrofit. It's very odd that the feature was omitted for half a run (our 2007 FEH has the audio buttons, the 2008 MMH bought in January 08 doesn't). Not claiming they owe us per se, but it's an odd situation.

WaltPA 01-16-2008 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by bmisf (Post 158113)
It's very odd that the feature was omitted for half a run (our 2007 FEH has the audio buttons, the 2008 MMH bought in January 08 doesn't). Not claiming they owe us per se, but it's an odd situation.

Well, it is really not a half of a run. The 2008 was in production for nearly a year before "Job 2" and its steering wheel button change. Maybe one could think of "Job 2" as being the 2008.5 model?

BTW, your 2007 FEH has audio buttons on the steering wheel???

DavidH 01-16-2008 08:15 AM

I have early schematics for the 08, and the early schematics show steering wheel audio.

Someone with a parts book could find out if the steering wheel clockspring is the same on job 1 & job 2 08,s we could be optimistic that the new wheel could get signals thru the wheel. And maybe the steering column wiring harness is the same, too!

AllenF 01-16-2008 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by DavidH (Post 158205)
I have early schematics for the 08, and the early schematics show steering wheel audio.

Someone with a parts book could find out if the steering wheel clockspring is the same on job 1 & job 2 08,s we could be optimistic that the new wheel could get signals thru the wheel. And maybe the steering column wiring harness is the same, too!

I think that looking into the design is the best course since it could answer our questions of an upgrade being doable or not. It seems Ford has said no and I think we will soon know why they are saying no. My gut feelings are that there has been a design change and thus an compatibility issue. Time and research will tell.

I have the radio buttons on my Ford F-350 King Ranch truck and love them. Our FEH rides very rough as I have complained about here and reaching to adjust the volume is difficult. I often cause it to be too loud or too low due to jostling over the road.

Being able to upgrade would make one issue go away.;)

aGDevil2k 04-07-2008 04:13 PM

Anyone ever have any updates on all of this?

WaltPA 04-08-2008 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by aGDevil2k (Post 167684)
Anyone ever have any updates on all of this?

I think the underlying issue is just how much is someone willing to pay to get the audio buttons? In all likelihood, it isn't gong to be just an "add", it will be a remove and throw away. By that I mean, the steering wheel assembly will need to be replaced, and that could easily raise the price into the hundreds of dollars.

BTW, with Sync announced for the '09 models, there now will be even a different set of buttons on the steering wheel to support that. :rolleyes:

jill.g@verizon.net 04-14-2008 01:36 PM

Thanks everyone. Y'all answered a couple of Q's I had about BU warning system, and steering wheel volume controls.

TeeSter 04-14-2008 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA (Post 167711)
I think the underlying issue is just how much is someone willing to pay to get the audio buttons? In all likelihood, it isn't gong to be just an "add", it will be a remove and throw away. By that I mean, the steering wheel assembly will need to be replaced, and that could easily raise the price into the hundreds of dollars.

BTW, with Sync announced for the '09 models, there now will be even a different set of buttons on the steering wheel to support that. :rolleyes:

I think you are very likely correct... I've unfortunately had a front end encounter with another object in my FEH. The airbag deployed... for my trouble I received an ENTIRE new steering wheel, just to replace the airbag.

ranger01 04-16-2008 07:06 AM

Very interesting thread about the V controls on the steering wheel. It does seem that it would be 'nice' if Ford retro fitted the 08's that didn't get the controls. However, imagine the cost to Ford, after all, you folks paid the lower price, and since when did an auto maker ever do something because it would be nice to do it. Also, it would seem doubtful that any auto maker is likely to react possibly to terms such as 'screw up' and a more rational discussion is likely to get you further.

I'm also thinking that as hybrid owners you have some concern for the environment and partly, at least, bought such vehicles to do the right thing. Perhaps then, rather than throw out and waste a bunch of parts, waste the gas required to get the job done, the gas/energy required to deal with that waste, make do until such time as you move onto a newer vehicle. So, let's not contribute more useless waste to our landfills, disposal systems.