Just bought an '05 escape

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Just bought an '05 escape

98k on it, premier package, leather, factory nav (lol).

Scanguage is on the way, and I'm buying a few relays too keep handy after reading Gary G's thread.

Also, living in minnesota, it's getting a grill cover during the winter months.

After reading countless forums, and threads I can't find answers to these questions:

Is there a software install that will allow you to stay in EV mode longer (say upto 40mph), or accelerate a little faster in EV mode?

Is there a way to tell the difference between a brush mecs pump and a brushless one (without removing it)?

where can i find a picture of the block heater (or plug if mine doesn't have one)?

Also, I'm getting the red triangle (of doom?!) after about 40 miles of highway driving. I can drive all day in the city at slower speeds. no codes on the typical scanner. (it did have abs codes though).

Once the scanguage gets here, what should I begin looking for?

Last edited by devious delight; 04-23-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Default Re: Just bought an '05 escape

Originally Posted by devious delight
Is there a software install that will allow you to stay in EV mode longer (say upto 40mph), or accelerate a little faster in EV mode?

Is there a way to tell the difference between a brush mecs pump and a brushless one (without removing it)?

where can i find a picture of the block heater (or plug if mine doesn't have one)?

Also, I'm getting the red triangle (of doom?!) after about 40 miles of highway driving. I can drive all day in the city at slower speeds. no codes on the typical scanner. (it did have abs codes though).

Once the scanguage gets here, what should I begin looking for?
You're stuck with the EV speed and there is no software upgrades.

Without starting, turn the key to the run position and check if your MECP is running under the radiator. You should hear it if it is. Don't think you can check if it's a brushless or not without removing.

If you don't see a plug near the radiator, you don't have a block heater.

Red triangle after driving longer distances sounds like the MECS. ABS light might be a broken tone ring.

SG - Monitor Instant MPG to learn how to increase MPG. Play around with the other gauges till you see what you want to monitor. Program X-gauge for battery SOC percentage. The Nav battery bar is crap.

GaryG

Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Gary.

is the instant mpg on the nav unit not close?

block heater diy anywhere?

Will look into the mecs pump.

Last edited by devious delight; 04-23-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Thanks Gary.

is the instant mpg on the nav unit not close?

block heater diy anywhere?

Will look into the mecs pump.
Checkout the Instant MPG on the SGII and see which one you prefer. There is a few post on installing the block heater / HV battery heater wire but I don't know where it's located. Maybe someone here can give you a link.

I had two SGII's in my '05 FEH, one on top of the dash and one under the dash. I made both brackets by bending a piece of 1" X 1/16" flat alum and drilled screw holes for the existing screws under the dash. This way I could remove the SGII without making any holes in the dash when I sold it. Here is a photo I took. http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showp.../500/ppuser/36

GaryG

Old 04-24-2013, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Gary.

scangauge arriving monday!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Engine block heater is "option 41H" as shown in the parts below:
Name:  FEhengineblockheatercomponents.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  122.3 KB

Only those 05 FEH vehicles sold in the so called nine "northern states" came with option 41H as standard equipment. The block heater plugs/screws into the back of the engine block where one just removes a dummy cover. The charger part fits on the side firewall under the windshield bottle fluid reservoir. The long cord runs out the front grille where one plugs this into an extension cord and electrical outlet.

A broken tone ring will result in a "flash" of the ABS light on the dash during braking. A clunking sound may be noticed. Your scanguage should provide additional information on the issue during highway driving.

Last edited by Billyk24; 04-25-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

thought I'd update. mecs pump wasn't working, and it was low on coolant.

replaced the mecs pump, filled with coolant. Found a leak in the radiator. Soldered it shut. seems good. I'm planning a small trip this weekend, so I'll find out if anything else is in need of repair.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Where in Minnesota are you? I'm in St. Paul. I've installed the engine block (and HV battery) heater in my '05. Not too hard actually.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast

Blaine. near hwy10 and central (hwy65)

Old 05-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Blaine. near hwy10 and central (hwy65)
If you'd like maybe I could stop up some day or evening and show you how I did my engine block (and HV battery) heater in my '05. Glad to help out. I got the parts from Tousley Ford in White Bear Lake and they were the cheapest in the TC area (<$40 for the block heater). If you're just going to do the engine block heater and not (additionally) the hookup and power supply for the HV battery heater, I've got the power cord for the engine block heater I can sell you cheap.

Quick Reply: Just bought an '05 escape

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands