High-pitched whine at 60 mph+

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default High-pitched whine at 60 mph+

I am into Week 3 of my 2008 FEH, and I still love him, but I've noticed something that's beginning to get worse. Whenever I hit 60, this really shrill, high-pitched whine starts up. It goes away when I get below about57, then starts up as soon as I hit 60. It only happens when I apply the accelerator. Has anybody had something similar happen? I'm trying to figure out if it's an engine thing, or just a wind noise thing. It's beginning to drive me a little batty.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: High-pitched whine at 60 mph+

Don't go 60 then, problem solved.

No, in all seriousness, can you tell the general area from which the noise is originating from?

Old 05-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Honestly, no. It's coming from the front of the vehicle. I have noticed EV interference with the radio, and turned it off hoping that would solve it. No luck.
If I were to try to go less than 60, this is the last you'd hear from me as the drivers up here are very important and must beat you to their destination.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:55 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Have the dealer fix the radio interference, and maybe that will lead them to the problem!

Last edited by DavidH; 01-16-2008 at 05:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Go to your powertrain display if you have one and see if the generator is charging really hard to the HV battery, might be the generator charging.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mark-
A little help please. Where would I find this info? I don't have the Nav system, in case it's there. The info center message always states "Elec Energy OK" and the gauge is pretty much always in the middle.
Also, and I don't know if this is related, the engine is really lound on start-up. Is that related the its being a hybrid or its being a 4 cylinder (I've always owned V6s).
My family thinks I'm nuts and just pay too much attention to noises emanating from my car, but I've lost so many to supposedly innocuous noises that I've gotten a bit paranoid.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hmm. No idea without the Nav system/energy flow display. Times like this, I wish I could make "House Calls".

Old 05-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Does the whine only exist right around 60mph? I know you said it goes away when you slow to about 57, but does it also go away when you get up to about 65 or so?

Old 05-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast

With my 08 FEH, I also hear some weird noise when Audio is OFF or ON. For me it is more like when driving, while stopped at the signal, i heard this noise. I am going to call my dealer now.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

It seems to be worst around 60. Still audible around 65, but then it's gone. Maybe I'm just hitting harmonic resonance with the wind at that point.

Quick Reply: High-pitched whine at 60 mph+

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands