Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Considering a FEH vs. FFH... (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/considering-feh-vs-ffh-21917/)

08MMHybridHappy 06-15-2009 01:24 PM

Re: Considering a FEH vs. FFH...

Originally Posted by Doberwiler (Post 204947)
Folks,

Thanks for all the info. One question regarding FWD vs. AWD (we are in Boston area and have a long driveway) -- does the FWD have some system where if one wheel looses traction it can transfer power to the other wheel so you don't get stuck?

Dobe

FYI - I am in the Boston area and have a 4WD MMH. I think a FWD would have been OK. I do go up north to ski country in the winter and did not want to be worried about going up/coming down from a snow ski trip in a snow storm - so error'd on the caution side. One thing you may want to consider is the "ride" is apparently different bwetween FWD and 4WD vehicles. I like the "stiffer" quality of 4WD and what I think may be improved cornering. By the way I am currently testing disabling 4WD (removing a fuse) to get "almost" FWD gas mileage. FWD gas mileage is better. This test is going well - but too ealry to know whether it may introduce other issues. Anyway - good luck - I think you will love the flexibility, quality and convenience of a FEH or MMH (twins). Good Luck!

MyPart 06-15-2009 02:30 PM

I've found that tires make a huge difference when driving on snow covered, paved roads. I drove a Mustang Cobra around Boston for years and once it had the snow tires on it, I never had a problem. No traction control on it either (except for the driver :) ).

GaryG 06-15-2009 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doberwiler (Post 204878)
Folks,

I own a 2007 HCH that I am mostly happy with but my wife thinks it's too small and we just had another child.

I was amazed by the new 2010 FFH and shopped around for new one as a replacement and then started thinking that the FEH might be a better match (4wd, more versatile, etc) if we sell the HCH. (BTW, despite what people say, dealers will sell the new 2010 FFH at dealer cost + 300).

I went on Fords site tonight an am totally confused about changes between 2007,8,9 and 10 and electronics that are in the units (Sync vs. Sirius with traffic, NAV, etc).

Are there some posts you can all recommend that would help me figure this out. A key question is if I get a 2009, wait for a 2010, or get a used 2007 or 2008?

Thanks in advance...

Dobe

My oldest Son Matt Gattis (24 yrs old) is Co-founder of Hunch.com that went public today. Go to that site (HUNCH.COM) which is safe and ask your question or any question. He graduated from MIT in electrical engineering and computer science with many awards with a 4.7 GPA. He still needs to prove he can get better mileage than dear old dad in the FEH!

GaryG

cbibbs 06-20-2009 06:00 PM

I know I'm chiming in late, but here's my $0.02. I have a 2008 FEH and my step-brother a 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid.

For day to day use (e.g. groceries, driving to day care, and work) either vehicle is fine. I really dig the new Sync system and wish we had it on our car. The better mileage of the FFH would be appreciated.

Our FEH has running boards added to help my wife with the step up, why more people don't have these I'm not sure. For long trips, I'm glad we have the FEH. It's pretty easy to stuff the back full with a high chair, toys, food, suitcases, and the other essentials for the family.